Please help me Dx Egg Problem

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by HollyDuckFarmer, Jan 15, 2013.

1. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    This is my Old Lady Pekin again. Thought she was cured of her ailments but today I observed she is definitely sitting a lot, feathers in her vent area are a mess (muddy or dirty wet looking), and today I found 2 Pekin eggs, both cracked at the small end and caked with what looked like a solid duck poo. :( She is eating well, mostly hanging near the flock, and I wasn't watching for this, I probly wouldn't think she had anything going on at all. I've given her vitamins, the calcium gluc. Now what is my next step?

Hi Miss Lydia & Amiga! I'm pressure cooking today!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Hi Holly just found you post sorry to hear your girl is at it again, are you still giving the calcium gluconate? if not start again and you say she is messy? I'd pick her up and take a close look, and smell, I am treating a hen right now for vent gleet and i have heard ducks can get it too. Probably not but the smell would give it away, very strong and the discharge is white. you said both eggs had cracks could they have been stepped on? were they thin shelled? it's not un common for ducks to have poop on their eggs. And what have you been doing in the pressure cooker? sounds interesting .

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Just wondering if several days with a little dry cat kibble added to her diet might bring up her vitamin D levels, which sometimes helps with using calcium.... Geez, Old Lady, c'mon, take a break. . . .

I need to do some pressure canning. Have the equipment, but I would have to use the outdoor cooker and it's expected to be wintry tonight and through tomorrow. Not to mention sometimes I am hesitant to try something new. Sometimes.

G'night.

4. HollyDuckFarmer

HollyDuckFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    LP Michigan
    Lol I know what you mean Amiga! I will pm ya about what I've been doing. We could start a whole new thread about pressure cookers! Haha

Ok The Update on Old Lady. I Took her to a nice warm bath bucket today. What I was seeing all around her vent was yolk. :( She of course did not enjoy being forced to bathe in 18'F weather, so I did my best with a rubber glove. I brought her buddy along too, but the buddy was not hip to the idea either. No obvious gleet, ML.... But I forgot to smell her. I guess I didn't notice any strong smell. After the bath I locked her up with the heat lamp to dry off, i just checked on her and lifted her door so that she could return outside if she chose, and she was busy preening and looking fine. So I'm going to go back to the calcium, keeping an eye on Old Lady. What was concerning about the 2 cracked eggs I found yesterday, was that both the cracks looked identical. And I dont think the soft membrane was broken either, just the shell. And shell looked good. With freezing temps here it is a little hard to tell. And the poo on the shell was big and very formed, quite unlike the other poos on eggs I've seen. Sorry to go there everybody. Any more ideas welcomed and appreciated! ~Holly

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by