Please help me figure out these two strange chickens?

luvmychicknkids

Canning Squirrel
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
Floresville, Texas
Well, before I start, I am going to say, as soon as you look at the pics you are going to say, OBVIOUSLY 2 roos. However, I am not sure and I really need help figuring these guys out. I still have no clue what breed they are, which would help a LOT. They are about 8 or 9 weeks old. Got the from TSC in the assorted pullets.

First is Suzy. I really don't doubt her maleness. She is also becoming very agressive with my little Barred Rock cockerel of the same age and has even rushed at me in a defensive manner a few times. NOT GOOD!!!

041.JPG

Next is Galaxy. Notice how her comb is slightly smaller, a little less reddish, and her wattles are tiny compared to Suzy's.

03920080604050229.jpg

Now is a pic of them together. Sorry it is a really fuzzy pic. This is to show the difference in them, coloring, body size, etc. They have always been EXTREMELY different. It wasn't just becasuse Suzy matured faster, they honestly are just maturing differently.

085.JPG

So anyway, I think Galaxy may be a girl. Any help at all on breed or gender would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!!!

I know......they are just so VERY different. I mean everything. It is hard to tell in the pics, but even their eyes are a different color. I keep trying to remember how large my White Leghorn Hen's combs were at this age. The computer with those pics crashed and I just can't remember. I do remember thinking there was no way they were female. Anyway, nothing I am looking at gives me a clue as to breed. As soon as I think I am close I realize just how far off I am. *sigh*

Here are leghorns that are 10.5 weeks old. The boys are red, the girl is pink!

peanut%20Small%20800.jpg

Just like people, individuals will have different physical traits even if they are the same gender.

Could they possibly be Lakenvelders? That was my first thought when I saw yours, though I've only seen Lakenvelders in pictures. They are gorgeous though!

OH MY!!!! I do believe I finally know what they are!!! Thank you guys!!! The description fits perfectly. The only thing, I couldn't find was any instance of them being as 'speckled' as Galaxy. However, I am sure that could just be an issue of her (him) being a low quality bird. They really are beautiful but I can't keep either if they are both roos. I already have my little flock rooster....the Barred Rock Suzy is mean to. He is a wonderful little guy and I am definitely keeping him.
sad.png

I will say Lakenvelders as well. Silver to be exact, and to me they both look like boys. Coloring, feathering, and comb size. VERY pretty birds once mature!

~Casey

Thanks. I am really glad to finally know what they are. When I got them, they had the two of them stuck in with the assorted (mostly RIR) pullets. I just had to grab them. It is a shame.
sad.png
They are so pretty I would love to keep one. However, I just don't have enough chickens for more than one rooster.

Back
Top Bottom