1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help me figure out what breed and gender this surprise chick is!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by steph5253, Feb 15, 2014.

1. steph5253

steph5253 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    Just got my first batch of chicks for our family's backyard flock and we were sent an extra chick and I have no idea what breed it is (assuming pullet but not sure on that either). Got them through a feed store and they thought a silver laced wyandotte because it came with the gold laced wyandotte but they were not sure and it looks nothing what I have seen of typical silver laced wyandottes. I special ordered 2 ameraucanas, 1 plymouth barred rock, 1 buff orpington, 1 gold laced wyandotte 1-2 day old pullets. the feed store mentioned the extra chick and asked if I wanted it and I could not say no :)

Taken today at 2-3 days old:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

She is black/smokey on her back and a little on her chest/front of neck, with darker sharply defined spots on her head. She has very faint white stripes on her back with a white/yellow belly, neck, and wings. Her beak is speckled dark grey/black? and her feet are white with a blue tinge. Her new wing feathers are coming in white with speckles of maybe dark grey/black/blue. I can see darker feathers to come but not sure of their color or pattern. Any input would be appreciated! Thanks

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you said any input so hears mine. she is soooo CUTE !!!!

3. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    See why I had to take her home?! :-D

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you couldnt of pryed her out of my hands. oh, and [​IMG]

5. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    Thanks!

:-D

6. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    Nobody? Guesses are great too!!!

7. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I'm actually going to guess an easter egger. I noticed there are dark parts to her beak and her toes. Easter Eggers will usually hatch with a SLIGHT tint to their beak and toes, that grow darker as they age. But the pattern on her down is definitely making me think silver. And the two different lengths to her wing feathers are indeed telling me it is a pullet.

8. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    My fist though is Ancona, but the leg color doesn't match.

The markings on your chick suggest mottled so search mottled chicken breeds.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  9. steph5253

Feb 15, 2014
    Martinez, Ca.
    Thank you for your guesses! I am relieved to hear it's probably a pullet LOL and my first thought was Easter egger too since I have two ameraucanas and the markings are somewhat similar but this chick does not appear to be bearded :-(
    I was so excited when I looked up acona chick because that's the closest I've seen to my chick, though still some differences. The aconas seem to have much more black on back and wings with greater contrast. And I did not see any that had mottled feathers like my chick has, they are all tipped.... Also noticed the markings on the head seem to be more linear, with a line of black or dots of black in a line, Whereas my chick has a set of four dots, somewhat like the points of a square, on her head. Could all be explained by just differences in coloring in the breed so it's a definite possibility, thanks! Time will tell :) And it also sort of makes sense being confused with silver laced Wyandottes at the store...

10. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    Keep in mind that easter eggers are technically mixed breeds (well, most of the time), so they may only display SOME traits of the Ameraucana breed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by