Please help me figure out what is wrong with my sweet hen :(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Brienna, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Brienna

Brienna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    Hi everyone,
    I have been searching on here and on the web to figure out what could be wrong with my hen but I can't pinpoint exactly what's wrong as there seems to be so many possibilities...
    She has not been herself since a few days, she is usually the most active girl so I can easily know when something is up.
    She has not layed an egg since about a month ago. She is usually our most active layer, laying everyday or every other day or so. Since then, she eats, but not a lot. Her crop is never as full as the others at night. At the beginning, I didn't worry because I thought it was normal as she was taking a break from laying. But now, she seems to be getting thin.
    She gets around ok but walks slowly and is lethargic at times. I have also noticed that she seems to be walking funny, not like a penguin, but her feet seem to be more inwards.
    Her poop is semi-normal, it is like small and flat instead of round.
    I wormed her yesterday with Ivermectin (it is the only wormer I'm able to get from my vet here in Canada).
    I also gave her extra calcium just in case.

I'm kind of at a loss here cause I think it could be so many things. Parasites, egg bound (I will check for an egg today, but if she was egg bound, wouldn't she be feeling more poorly and not pooping?)...
    The snow has just melted so we started letting them out of the run a bit since about 2 weeks. Could she have eaten something bad?

Has anyone experienced something similar? Any input would be greatly appreciated..

2. Brienna

Brienna Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2014
    Quebec, Canada
    I forgot to mention that after free-ranging sunday, she still had a little stuff in her crop monday morning and that is when she seemed to start feeling bad. I massaged her crop and got it to empty. I have check her crop every morning since and it is fine now
    Also, she is 3 years old.

Another possibility I was thinking of could be the start of a molt? would that be possible? she molted in december but I hear that some also molt twice a year in the spring and fall. All my hens don't feel great during a molt so it could be a possibility, but she hasn't lost any feathers yet.

I really don't know what to think :(

Anyone?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by