Please help me figure out whats wrong w my Isa hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TheChips, Mar 13, 2015.

1. TheChips

TheChips Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    I need your help on what to do and what this might be.

She has been lethargic most of the day only wanting to stand in 1 position. Her bottom is all messy as if she has diarrhea. She is flexing her rectum a lot. Her tail is a little droopy.

I tried to give her an orange which is her favorite but she refused. I put her on top of the coop roof where the water is and shes been there in the same area. I put a little bit of vinegar to losses up the crop in case thats it.

UPDATE: I went outside to check on her again she still wont eat or drink. Tomorrow Im going to clean her butt and bottom feathers and try to give her food/water by hand. If you have advice its much needed thank you in advance.

Here are some photos

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  2. TheChips

Sep 28, 2013
    bump anyone?

3. TheChips

Sep 28, 2013
    Also her crop is empty

4. gruffy

gruffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    Hmmmm what does her stomach feel like? And when did you first notice this?

5. gruffy

gruffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2015
    It looks similar to egg binding internal laying or an infection with its tail down and the vent and suddenly coming on. But there is a chance it could be a bug I'd say for tonight treat her for stress take her in wrap her in a warm towel give her a soft nest and put her in a dark warm spot. Sometimes that's all it takes and they're totally different in the morning. If you think it's just a stomach bug try some yogurt and lemon juice. I used to work at a wildlife rescue center and they use that all the time for upset stomach

Last edited: Mar 14, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by