Please help me figure out what's wrong with my chick.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cedarcovefarm, Oct 20, 2015.

1. cedarcovefarm

cedarcovefarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2015
    [VIDEO] have a little chick about 2 weeks old. Part of a staggered hatch. I believe one of the other chicks may have jumped on it. Anyways, it's got a slipped tendon that we've been caring for and trying to heal for a few days, but it's making a strange motion with its neck. I can't tell if this is a reflex or a seizure.. Please watch this YouTube video and give me your input

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. cedarcovefarm

Feb 15, 2015
    Anybody??

3. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    I believe you're seeing a neurologic problem. Do a google search for: "vitamin E encephalopathy" or "crazy chick disease". Recommended treatment is Vitamin E, Selenium, and B vitamins. You can get the E and B's in Poultry Nutri-Drench. You can get the Selenium from any store that sells vitamins. Remember the size of the chick, and realize that a tablet is a dose for a full grown adult human. I'm not authorized to advise medical treatment for animals or people, but this is where I started when treating a chick. He came back from being comatose to acting normal, but needed to be culled around 20 weeks due to related issues.

4. cedarcovefarm

Feb 15, 2015
    Thank you for your help. I have started the chick on poly vi sol, but I will have to look into the selenium. Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.

5. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You're welcome. Post back on how things go for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by