Please help me find a way!

PitbullChick

In the Brooder
7 Years
Dec 14, 2012
I am low on money right now,especially with Christmas right around the corner and 2 dogs,a cat and 2 rabbits to feed. I have been wanting chickens again for so long! I had them about 2 years ago but it took so much to feed them.

How can I save on feed? And maybe I am feeding the wrong thing? Cause it broke me to feed 4 last summer. Im really bummed about this as I want chickens so bad and could REALLY benefit from the eggs. Please help! (How to save on chicks and adult chickens)

Ok, first, if you would like some eggs, you could buy just a small amount of chickens, i only have 5 and i have been getting about 4-5 eggs a day! If you want to save on feed, you could try growing some natural foods to give them, like fruits or even grass. When i go to the local feed store, its around 20$ for 50 lbs ( in Traverse City ), so i dont know how much your feed costs, but this will feed my girls about a month.

If you dont want to pay 20 $, you could try to buy some corn on sale and make your own feed, just let it dry out and crumble it up. Hope I helped!

Good Luck!
yippiechickie.gif

Ok, first, if you would like some eggs, you could buy just a small amount of chickens, i only have 5 and i have been getting about 4-5 eggs a day! If you want to save on feed, you could try growing some natural foods to give them, like fruits or even grass. When i go to the local feed store, its around 20$ for 50 lbs ( in Traverse City ), so i dont know how much your feed costs, but this will feed my girls about a month.

If you dont want to pay 20 $, you could try to buy some corn on sale and make your own feed, just let it dry out and crumble it up. Hope I helped!

Good Luck!
yippiechickie.gif
Thanks! I planned on getting 6,but its hard to find a hatchery that will let you order under 15. And our local TSC rarely has a good assortment or the kinds I want. Plus they usually dont get the sex right so I end up with all roosters.

that happened with me too, :/ but what I did was i went in on an order with my uncle, he usually orders like, 50 chickens a year, ( he sells them for meat) so i just had him order an extra 5 chickens and i went and picked them up and paid him for them!
Maybe you can go in on an order with a friend or a family member, Im sure they wouldnt mind!

I found a local mill that saves me a few bucks on feed! $24 for 100lbs, whereas it's $19 for 50lbs at the TSC. You can also feed table scraps, and as americana-lover said, grow some of your own. They love grains that have sprouted and grown only a few inches high. If they're in a pen without access to grass, you can dig up clumps with the dirt still attached and throw them in. Do a search on here and there is TONS of info about alternative feed!

On shipping limits: My Pet Chicken will ship as low as 3 chicks at a time, but they're expensive. Meyer will ship 3 but only through December. And I know there are others with low limits.

Hope you can get chickens again!

Back
Top Bottom