Please help me find a way!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PitbullChick, Dec 14, 2012.

1. PitbullChick

PitbullChick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    I am low on money right now,especially with Christmas right around the corner and 2 dogs,a cat and 2 rabbits to feed. I have been wanting chickens again for so long! I had them about 2 years ago but it took so much to feed them.

How can I save on feed? And maybe I am feeding the wrong thing? Cause it broke me to feed 4 last summer. Im really bummed about this as I want chickens so bad and could REALLY benefit from the eggs. Please help! (How to save on chicks and adult chickens)

2. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    Ok, first, if you would like some eggs, you could buy just a small amount of chickens, i only have 5 and i have been getting about 4-5 eggs a day! If you want to save on feed, you could try growing some natural foods to give them, like fruits or even grass. When i go to the local feed store, its around 20$ for 50 lbs ( in Traverse City ), so i dont know how much your feed costs, but this will feed my girls about a month.

If you dont want to pay 20 $, you could try to buy some corn on sale and make your own feed, just let it dry out and crumble it up. Hope I helped!

Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. PitbullChick

PitbullChick Out Of The Brooder

Dec 14, 2012
    Thanks! I planned on getting 6,but its hard to find a hatchery that will let you order under 15. And our local TSC rarely has a good assortment or the kinds I want. Plus they usually dont get the sex right so I end up with all roosters.

4. americana-lover

americana-lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Michigan
    that happened with me too, :/ but what I did was i went in on an order with my uncle, he usually orders like, 50 chickens a year, ( he sells them for meat) so i just had him order an extra 5 chickens and i went and picked them up and paid him for them!
    Maybe you can go in on an order with a friend or a family member, Im sure they wouldnt mind!

5. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a local mill that saves me a few bucks on feed! $24 for 100lbs, whereas it's $19 for 50lbs at the TSC. You can also feed table scraps, and as americana-lover said, grow some of your own. They love grains that have sprouted and grown only a few inches high. If they're in a pen without access to grass, you can dig up clumps with the dirt still attached and throw them in. Do a search on here and there is TONS of info about alternative feed!

On shipping limits: My Pet Chicken will ship as low as 3 chicks at a time, but they're expensive. Meyer will ship 3 but only through December. And I know there are others with low limits.

Hope you can get chickens again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by