PLEASE HELP ME FIND OUT WHAT THIS IS

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cool chick, Feb 16, 2016.

1. cool chick

cool chick Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please help me find out what this is please

2. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks like a very bad case of serious frost bite. The black appendages will most likely fall of or have to be amputated. If they are just toes, the chicken should be able to walk without them. If possible, consult a vet. Was it exceptionally cold recently? Regards, Leaf

3. LeafBlade12345

Oh, and :welcome We're glad to have you!

Regards,
    Leaf

4. carolinasculpture

carolinasculpture Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    X2 on frostbite, or something else that killed those toes. How is the other foot?

5. cool chick

Jan 21, 2016
    the other foot is perfect but he's crippled so he cant walk. and he has been inside all winter so it cant be frost bite

6. cool chick

Jan 21, 2016
    the first toe is what concerns me because it looks like its going to fall off like the tip is dead I don't know what to do or what it is its been like this for months and I have no clue what to do.

7. cool chick

Jan 21, 2016
    is it possible for him to of gotten frost bite while inside??? if he's in the basement but on a pillow in a tote with blankets. not straw like usual

8. LeafBlade12345

Either that's frostbite, or your chicken completely lost all circulation to his toes for a long time. Perhaps they were constricted in the blanket or some sort of string. Has he been outside at all, even during the day? How warm is his resting place inside the house?

Regards,
    Leaf

9. huntingirl

huntingirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2016
    Probably not. Can chickens get leprosy?[​IMG]

10. cool chick

Jan 21, 2016
    we check on him a lot so the blankets couldn't of got caught around him and its about 65 degrees he hasn't been outside since it started snowing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by