Please help me fine a way to exterminate rats

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstampa

Songster
10 Years
Jun 18, 2009
Tampa, Florida
I've spent close to $100.00 for rat bait in the past month trying to kill yard rats. I keep putting 1 lb of bait out night after night. And the next morning the bait is gone. Has anyone tried using anti-freeze. There are no cats or dogs for them to get to it. I wouldn't want to hurt someones pet.
Are there any suggestion? I don't need to hear your opinions about being right or wrong. Just suggestions

Last edited:
Isn't that illegal to poison with antifreeze? A dog or cat or who knows what could get into it. Antifreeze is also a painful way to die. Im sorry I don't agree with this at all.
sad.png

ep.gif
I would NEVER put out rat bait in the yard! Antifreeze is a serious No-No too! How many innocent animals will suffer because of that???

You need to set rat traps. There are also specific traps for rats which look like large black boxes baited with poison which is specifically used for outdoor applications. They are made to be only for rats and mice.

You really shouldn't be just spreading rat poison out in an open yard! Obviously you're not killing rats but some other poor animals which is why you need to keep buying the stuff!

Quote:
I said I have yard rats not I bait my yard. There is a difference you know.
Well I don't put bait out in the yard. I place them in hide away corners along my wooden fence. I put them at sun set so they won't be eaten by good animals.
And I don't know if you own any of these traps but they cost $25.00 a peice plus the bate. I live on SSI and can barely afford the bait. If you know of anyone who as a extra trap or two I would be happy to take them off their hands.

All the bait is gone before the chickens get up. Or as they say the "The roaster crows"

Your suggestion is appricated and thanks.

You're right to wonder. Yes, it will work, but rats are cagey operators and can be very particular about what they eat. It is quite possible the rats are just stashing the poison you've already put out (not eating it, just caching it). Have you tried any of the BIG Victor Rat Traps? Tie some raw bacon to the treadle and rub some peanut butter on the bottom side of treadle (has to stick its nasty head under it and bye bye rat).

Some folks swear by a mixture of powdered sugar mixed with plaster of paris; `set' them up from the inside.

If you are this heavily infested it would probably be worthwhile taking the time to track down any breeding areas (garbage/brush piles - available crawl spaces under buildings, etc.) and remove them.

Last edited:
I liked the peanutbutter/plaster of paris balls that someone came up with on this site. Do a search. Turns rats into rocks from inside out.... maybe try that? Antifreeze sounds like a bad idea.

Quote:
I didn't ask whether you agreed with me or not. My question was has anyone tried it. Plus I said cats or dogs can't get to it.
Does anyone actual read what people say in their post? I wonder.

You could try the "50 gallon Barrel of death".

5 Gallon for Mice, 50 gallon for rats

Fill a 35 or 50 gallon plastic barrel or garbage can 1/2 or 2/3 full of water.

Put a piece of wood like a 2X4 across the top/opening and along the sides as ramps.

Put of heavy layer of sunflower seeds in the water, the seeds will float and it will look like a bucket of sunflower seeds.

The mice, chimpmunk, rat, etc will jump in the barrel to get the sunflowers and then drown because they will not be able to get out.

Just make sure there is a good gap between the top and the water level so they dont get out.

Cheap and easy. Good luck!

Quote:
Oh! Yes I remember that post. I forgot all about that. I'll give that a try tomorrow.
Thanks so much for refreshing my memory.
You're the greatest.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom