Please help me!!! Found my chicken hanging!! She's still alive.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chikadeedoodah, Aug 18, 2010.

1. chikadeedoodah

chikadeedoodah Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Came home to check the coop and my girls and one of them was hanging from the handle of the waterer. Freak accident, had no idea this was possible, but she was hanging there. Cut her down and removed the handle (which had gone through her bottom beak). Her neck immediately went limp (I thought she had broken it). But, after a few minutes she started to get up on her feet. She's exhausted, has a hole in the bottom of her beak (under her tongue). I have her in a laundry basket with a blanket, apple sauce, and water. She won't drink or eat, but just looks very tired. She is standing up, but her eyes are closing like she's going to sleep for the night. So devastating, wouldn't want it to happen to any chicken, but this one in particular is a FAVORITE! Looks like the beak particle was on the inside of her mouth, now there seems to be a bump on the bottom of her beak. I don't know if I should treat, bandage or what. Please help, is there a chance she's going to make it? [​IMG] Right now she's just resting, will probably move her to the bathtub later today. So so sad about this!

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble Premium Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Try to keep her warm and calm. I dont recommend applesauce, it's used as a mild flush to clean out gut flora. Give her plain yogurt and scrambled egg for a few days. Right now she's probably wore out from struggling and flapping her wings. Your just going to have to keep an eye on her and feed her the mixture I mentioned and provide her some sugar water to perk her up as well.

3. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Thank you, I don't have any plain yogurt in the house right now, I fried up an egg and cut it really small and removed the applesauce. She's laying down now (but her head is still up). I'm hopeful (and worried). Anything I can do to her beak to make her more comfortable?

4. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    I don't know of anything you can put on her beak... but the sugar water, scrambled or boiled egg and pretty much any other advice dawg gives will be your best bet.

Sounds like rest, maybe a dark, quiet spot would do her some good as well.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Can you describe the injury to her beak a little more fully. I am not quite understanding what happened to the beak.

6. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with Lorije1...I dont think there's much that can be done about the beak. Can you post pics of her beak so we can get an idea what we're looking at and offer suggestions? If you can, try and force feed sugar water in her. No telling when she had her last drink. Then try to force feed her....I wish you had the yogurt, she might gobble it up.

7. Lorije1

Lorije1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    what about cottage cheese?

8. dawg53

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Yes, cottage cheese or buttermilk.

9. chikadeedoodah

Apr 23, 2009
    Thanks everyone, she made it through the night and is eating, drinking, and talking. I'll probably let her out of "lock down" today. She's seeming very "alert". Anyone know if the hole in her beak will grow back?

10. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Glad to hear this good new's! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by