Please help me, help my duck Ferdi.

AshVanHorne

In the Brooder
May 30, 2019
Yesterday my husband went out to collect eggs, and noticed that my loved Ferdi wasnt moving. I went in and picked him up & brought him in to the big tub. He would try and walk but its almost like a huge limp. Ferdi van use his left leg just fine but it's almost as if he cant support himself with his right leg. When I fill up the tub for swim time. Ferdi can swim and walk using both legs and feet with the help of the water. After a while when I drain the tub he can take about 2 steps and then cant put weigh oh right leg again. Appetite is good, breathing is good. And he is very alert. Please help.... I dont know what to do.. also Ferdi is a Peking duck and just over a year old. Please help.

Attachments

• 20190529_094548.jpg
    20190529_094548.jpg
    324.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 20190529_094536.jpg
    20190529_094536.jpg
    319.1 KB · Views: 8
I'm sorry to say this but it looks like he has bumble feet.
Bumblefoot is basically a staph infection in which bacteria enters a chicken's (or duck's) foot through a cut caused by a splinter or other sharp object and causes infection which can travel up the leg.

It can also be caused by a hard landing off a high roost and tends to affect the heavier breeds. If left untreated it can potentially kill the chicken.
Fortunately bumblefoot is very easy to spot and fairly easily treatable. Once you know what to look for, a quick once-over of your girls feet every once in awhile will be sufficient to recognize it.
Upon a quick inspection, Iyou can find that his/her foot pad was warm and puffy.

TREATING DUCKS WITH BUMBLEFOOT

Ducks with bumblefoot would be treated the exact same way, but with their webbed feet, are a bit harder to wrap and tape.

I finally managed to fashion a bandage that our duck Brigid would keep on and could still manage to walk with.

As you can see, wrapping a duck foot is a bit awkward! If the ground is muddy or wet, separating the 'patient' for a few days so the wound stays clean is a good idea. Otherwise, just keep the foot wrapped well so dirt and mud stays out.

In about a week a new scab should form. As long as the new scab is pink or light tan, not black, you can feel confident that you got the infection out and you can consider your patient cured.

Caught early enough, bumblefoot is quite easy to treat, although it doesn't always cause the chicken to limp, so a quick peek on the underside of each foot is important.

Be sure and keep an eye on your ducks feet so you catch any problems early on and be sure to bookmark this article so you will be able to find it again if you ever need it.
This is written from my personal experience. Your own experience with bumblefoot in your flock could differ based on a variety of factors, including how quickly you catch a case. If you believe the foot is infected, it is always best to consult with a professional as to the best treatment. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• upload_2019-5-30_15-20-43.png
    upload_2019-5-30_15-20-43.png
    1,012 bytes · Views: 7
    1,012 bytes · Views: 6
    1,012 bytes · Views: 6
Last edited:
Hi all, so I have soaked Ferdis feet in warm Epsom salt water and my daughter and I took tweezers to try and get the black stuff off of his feet well none of it was coming and he wasnt very happy. He has. Even standing and can take a few steps but then looses balance. And ideas? This is farsi today spending some time with me in the living room

Attachments

• 20190602_162006.jpg
    20190602_162006.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom