1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help me help this hen's eye get better

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by KristyAz, Feb 3, 2013.

1. KristyAz

KristyAz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    This little gal has had this infection for a few months. I haven't had good luck nursing chickens back to health, so I was hoping that her eye would clear up. It hasn't. It doesn't look any worse but it isn't getting better. She is fine, eating, hatched chicks on Halloween and is raising them just fine. Here are couple of pics, one with the flash one wit out. Not sure you can see it here, but the side of her "nose" is swollan and I have a feeling full of infection. Please suggest some things I can do for her. Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Reading around, I've seen references to Tylan. I'm also going to try to clean it out with some saline solution.

I was hoping to get some replies, but instead, I'll update here so that maybe I can help someone else who has a chicken with this issue.

3. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Today I cleansed Cossette's eye with saline solution. I was careful to buy solution that didn't have extra ingredients like some contact lense solution has as I wasn't sure if it would harm her.

I also happened to have some doxycycline left over from the vet that we had for a rooster that died, so I started her on that as well.

Her eye is cleaned out, but still looks bad and also her sinus is very swollen. I'm going to do this 2x a day.

Hoping this will clear it up for her finally.

4. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
  5. KristyAz

Jan 29, 2011
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Thanks for the recommendation! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by