please help me house train this puppy **pics**UPDATED!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dar, May 11, 2009.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    OK here's the thing we have a wonderful little girl her name is Abby.

Abby is a 6 month old min pin
    [​IMG]

in this pic you can see the pee pad by the door

[​IMG]

several times a day I will bring Abby outside on the lead and bring her to the same spot to do her business. After she has done her thing we go for a little "reward" walk down to the end of the driveway (i live in the country so we have a long driveway). She has mastered urinating outside but its the bowel movements that are driving me crazy [​IMG] .

she get her little piece of rollover dog treat when she has her movement outside and it has been going in cycles. she will do fine for a few days then she will start her antics again. She will hold her BM's till we get back in the house and go where her pee pad used to be. We are out side and she is on the lead walking in circles you see her rectum beginging to dilate and a little bulge just under her rectum, you think yes good girl your gonna go. BUT ooo no she will squeeze her rectum shut and hold it. for as long as 30 minutes.

I know there is no remaining smell from the puppy pads or else she would be going pee there too.

I feel like I am toilet training a toddler to poop on the toilet again [​IMG] but unfortunatly the same tricks wont work here, she does not care if i read her a story while she is outside! lol

does anyone have any ideas?.

like I said she goes in cycles, she will have a BM outside great for a week and then start this non-sense again for a few days then go back to moving her bowels outside..

as soon as i see her pacing at the door looking for a place to go i jump up and grab the leash and she will tighten her rectum again till we get back inside

Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2009
  2. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    You might want to try walking her nonstop until she poops. Exercise will sometimes cause them to have to poop. [​IMG]

3. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    I want to train her to only go in one area. we have trained our other dog to do this too. It works really well because i have young kids and no matter how hard you look in the yard you will miss a poop and the kids end up with all over them

so we walk in little circles for a while till she goes. but like I said she will hold it until the moment you walk in the house and take her lead off then she starts to circle. I will get the leash back on her and she will stop squatting...

4. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    You said that it goes in cycles...
    Is there anything that correlates to these cycles?
    I have a red Dobi (regular size:)) and she has the same problem. I'm a nurse & I work every-other week. So I'm home a week, work a week... you get the idea.
    Our Dobi has seperation anxiety issues. Even though she'll "go" outside, she'll make herself have a BM for the attention. She doesn't care if it's negative attention - it's just the attention she wants! She can be out in the yard all day, poo several times, have just poo'd and she'll still leave a pile by the door if we bring her in to get ready for work. (DH works 3-11, I work nights)
    We've had some success by breaking up the cycle... having my son randomly bring her in on both work & off days. That way she doesn't associate the going-out-to-pee/poo with our work schedules.
    We've also crate-trained her. She won't poo in there! We use the crate/kennel when both DH & I will not be home. She seems to like it. She goes in it at night to sleep.
    Hope that helps!

5. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    I have not been able to nail down a cycle..I work a split shift every day. She is also crate trained and wont go in there.

I am starting to thing she does not like to have BM outside when its cold. we have been having random weather and the cold is the only thing I can think of

6. Pupsnpullets

Pupsnpullets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2008
    SoCal desert
    I read/heard somewhere that if the dog's walk ends the minute it poops, it soon gets the idea to hang on to the poop to extend the length of the walk. It made sense to me. Perhaps you could plan it so that the dog's fun doesn't actually start until the BM has taken place. That way you encourgage a business first, play later mind set.

7. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:thats what i do no walk till the deed is done no toys are allowed in the poop area that area is just for business

8. Good luck trying to train a mini pin, my DD has 3 all over 3 years old and she is still trying, I have the same problem with my yorkie, [​IMG] marrie

9. BroncoHollow

BroncoHollow Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    Mariposa, CA
    I have a couple of thoughts.... I assume you are verbally asking and encouraging for the PP and BM? Have you tried putting her back into her crate - wait 30 minutes then try again? If she still wont go, back to the crate and try again 30 minutes later. The 'reward' is being let loose in the house that way.

She is a very pretty pup BTW

10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:thanks..she is a doll and spoiled ROTTEN

well I tried the putting her back in her crate and it caused another issue...OMG can that lil thing bark. if she hears that I am in the house and she is still in bed well she wont shut up, and then the other dog gets going cause they share a crate

this was the only way I got her to stop barking when we first crate trained her we tried separate crates and that was insane the pup would bark then the older dog would bark so we had 2 dogs barking all night long...as soon as i put them into one crate they both stopped barking.

I should have added that she is in a gated area so that she does not wonder and poop everywhere she has the kitchen and living room

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by