please help me. i am almost crying!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by silky_3699, Sep 16, 2011.

1. silky_3699

silky_3699 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    okay. so as i was pulling out one of the eggs from under my hen to candle it, it hit the side of the cage and got a really small crack. i have heard that it can be fixed by putting wax on the crack. i got a candle and lit it. then dripped some of the melted wax on it and let it dry. my hands were shaking. it was fertile. i want it to hatch. oh please help me!

2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    how many days?

3. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    ummm. think around 6 - 7 - 8 days.

4. pete55

pete55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2011
    Suffolk, UK
    Hi

If you've sealed the damage with wax then there's little more you can do. If the membrane's intact then thats a good sign. The biggest problems are increased rate of moisture loss due to the crack and entry of bacteria.

Hopefully its now sealed and now you've just got to leave it and hope it continues development.

Good luck [​IMG]

5. silky_3699

Aug 15, 2011
    My Own Realm!!!
    i will look again to see if she hasn't rubbed it off. oh dear. i feel like....like. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    to be brutally honest... at less than a week I would rather throw it out.... the chance it will go bad + less integrity on the shell is just not worth the risk....

7. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    Quote:x2

I might give it a go in an incubator but definately not under a hen. I'm sorry. [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  8. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    I did the same thing with one of my eggs, I put wax on it and today is day 14 and it is still doing great. Good luck

9. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I would toss it personally. I wouldn't want to risk the rest of the rest of the nest over one egg. Even seemingly normal eggs can explode, the cracked one is not worth the risk IMO. If you have a bator and its a particularly special egg maybe try that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by