please help me I am begging you turkey vrs. dog

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jessaw1981, Sep 7, 2010.

1. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I came home from the store and found my coop door open all my birds out and can't find my big pet turkey. I go all around the yard and still nothing. Then I went straight to my dogs lot I found a few feathers I start looking around and calling my call for when I feed them. my husband said listen he is calling to you sure enough there he was on the other side of the coop ( where my door is ) hunched over with his nose in the corner. he can't walk or hardley stand I found bite wounds under his right wing where chunks of turkey are gone 1 or 2 about the size of a dime and deep as the part of an eraser that stickes up off a reg. pencile. they are all in a spot about the size of 2 50 cent pieces. that is the only wound I can find. he is about 5 mo. old and our big baby I am sorry this is so long I am sobbing as I wright this. I washed it with wound wash I have its for people but all I had filled it with neo. and wrapped with get wrap. I put save a chick in his water. (electrolyte's) I put food in and he ate and the took some sips. I have duramycin 10 antibiotic do I need to use it and what trouble signs do I look for thanks so much. o and will him being in shock make him not be able to stand ? thanks so much.

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    I don't know why he is not walking, he could have an injury that is internal that is causing this. It sounds like you have done everything I would do. If you have cleaned and dressed the wounds, given extra vits and electrolytes and keep him up, warm and safe, there really is not much else you can do short of taking him to the vet. If he worsens, I would definately do that. But he may just be so frightened and in pain. You can start the antibiotics if you see infection (pus, redness, hot feeling, smell). I would continue to clean and use antibiotic cream often and let the wounds dry out and not cover them after a few days. You are giving him wonderful care and love and time will tell.

Good luck and keep us posted.

3. herefordlovinglady

herefordlovinglady It Is What It Is

Jun 23, 2009
    Georgia
    So sorry,

He sounds like he is in shock. keep him in a warm quiet dark area and watch him. sound like you have taken care of the wounds. IMO the neo should be enough antibiotic, but you know it can't hurt to give him more. main thing is to keep him in a quiet place.

4. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    thank you both for your kind words. I am hoping and praying he makes it. The worst is not over for him or me. My little girls are comming home in a hour and the have to see there favorite pet in a cage all by himself. He has grower up with and always lived my hens and he loves and protects them. when I found him the two oldest hens were sitting with him protecting him. I am heart broken and also will be my girls when they get home. My older one who is 10 he is hers and this will kill her. We git him for thanksgiving and the day after we brought him home I knew he would never be ate. I also worries about him being alone. I know he misses his hens. I think its a good sign he is eating and drinking. I will keep you all posted thanks so much.

5. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    Oh, I am so sorry. Sounds like you are doing all the right things for him. I agree to keep him isolated and quiet. Let him have the rest and alone time to heal. The shock of an attack may take several days or longer until he is able to be back with "his" flock. Let us know how he is doing.

6. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    I so hope he makes it. I am going tomorrow and getting some fly spray they are landing on him any ideas ? can I blue coat it it do I need to wait a while till it heals some ?

7. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    If he is eating and drinking, that is a very good sign. Bring him a hen to keep him company.

8. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    he is just sitting there with his mouth partly open like he is panting. I am so scared I don't know if he is suffering or not. he's not screaming it anything he is just laying there.

9. TerriL

TerriL Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Holden, Missouri
    I am so sorry you have to go through this. I think you are probably doing all you can at this point, I just wanted to add my support and prayer. Terri

10. jessaw1981

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    thank you all for all your prayers. he was bleeding a but I searched on here real quick and moat everything said flour. So that's what I did hope it don't hurt him and replaced his bandage. hope he makes my only thing is it gets down to 50 at night he has to be outside his cage is so far away from all the power supply I can't get a light out there. what elts can I do ? does he need anything ? he usually sleeps on the stairs to the hen house all by his self ?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by