Please help me, I think his leg is broken...

india166

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 26, 2014
As I was cleaning my house I allowed my best friend to take my duckling "baby Mallard" outside to hunt!! We have about 5 lb rocks that we flip and allow him to eat the crickets, she came running in saying he's hurt, the rock rolled over on his precious little leg, which is broken I'm pretty sure, at the hip!! I am flipping out as I've grown to love him so much this past month, he's my baby!! It barely got his head, which has a tiny little piece of skin peeled back no blood, but the leg is obviously broken at hip, as the rock must have caught it tere!! He isn't screaming he did scream out but hasn't since it happened, I've kept it's leg soaked with Epsom salt rag now for an hour, my son is freaking out he is 6 and I am about to faint I just need some help please!! If I had the money we would have been to the Vet by now :( please help me!! Someone.... And it is swollen a bit not wry badly but it is, and what can I give him or help him with his pain and his leg!? I want him to live I'm gonna freak

I'm so sorry. This is one of those must go to the vet scenarios. There really isn't much that can be done especially in that location. I'm very sorry! I hope someone else has more insight.

No I'm not sure of anything accept he's not using the leg at all it's limp. He tries moving and just falls down on it whether it's bent under him or not but there is NO signs of pain just slight signs of discomfort...

Okay it is morning after, I dreadfully came to check on him whispering to him, and heard his precious voice<3 he is acting completely normal is what I don't understand. His leg may not even be broken at all what is it with it being dislocated someone asked me about!? I know he does keep moving around like trees little pain, but doesn't know how to maneuver the other leg alone yet. I can tell there's little discomfort but aside from that no other signs!! His breast is a little red, she never told me until I calmed down that the rock rolled on him completely and the way my son showed me is that he was under getting crickets, something startled my son and he yelled causing her to lose control of the rock she was holding up for him to eat under, thankfully it was one of the littler ones, but she said she dropped it in his leg my son got on floor showing me that it rolled right on him and explained one leg stuck up by his neck, the hurt one.. And the other straight out which would mean he did like a split... Were Not certain of a break my dad just checked him really good and says he thinks he does feel one, my fiancé thinks it's a break at the lower part like the knee joint!! The leg is limo I do know that and minimal swelling!! He isn't controlling his little webbed foot either it's just closed up!! :( it's got me all tore up but the good thing is there is NO blood anywhere in the stool or anything like that so hopefully means no internal bleeding?! And the neck is a little red and the top of his head has a little skin mark that is all!!

Because no one knows if there is a break a vet trip is really, really important. Ducks are really hardy and don't show pain. I would also be concerned with some internal injuries since the rock completely rolled over him. I'm glad he seems to be doing better. You really need to figure out what is wrong because if not it could start setting in a bad position and he may never be able to walk.

@india166 I responded over on the emergencies forum - glad you posted here as well.

Here is what I posted.

Hello, one thing you might try is the Duck Forum (you may have posted there already, if so I apologize for the repeat).

Anyway, it does sound like a serious injury and a vet would be best. At the same time, there are some things for you to consider.

One is that ducklings can recover from very serious injury, given half the chance.

See if you can gently feel the differences between the legs and identify if it's a break or not.

Vet wrap can be a decent cast or splint for injured limbs - big concern there is not to wrap too tightly and cut off circulation.

An Epsom salt compress would probably help. E.s. is a laxative so I do no recommend putting the duckling in a small tub with it in the water. I think it would be better to put a few tablespoons of Epsom salt in some warm (80˚F) water, then soak a clean rag or paper towel in the water and wrap the leg all the way up to the body and hold the duckling like that for ten to twenty minutes (if possible - they sure can wiggle).

And if you could, post over on the Duck Forum. We can probably get some other minds working on this situation.

hugs.gif

A helpful web page for leg injuries is https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

I hate going to doctors or vets but this sounds like a good time.. If it were my leg, and I wasn't going to a doctor; I'd make sure it's set properly, wrapped so it says that way, avoid usage, and increase protein, vitamin/airborne, fruit & veggie, water and calcium intake for weeks. The there's a lot more info on taking care of a human (or similar) bone break. Duck on the other hand.. I would want a pro. After watching carefully, I might try to do it myself if if ever happened again.

I usually think people paid doctors/vets to do nothing 9 out of 10 times. 'Nothing,' includes things they can do themselves with the power of the internet. This sounds like a good time to use a vet. If you're trying other options, I'd do a modified version of the same thing I'd do for myself.

I'm far from an expert, but I google
smile.png
Again, I'd say vet. If you have a reason you can't or aren't, do a lot more googling than I did:

https://www.google.com/search?q=duc...57.3091j0j1&sourceid=chrome&es_sm=93&ie=UTF-8

Seems common the leg may not be broken even if you think it is. Common in humans as well. I only read two of the first 5 links on google.

Btw, for virtually all physical healing needs in my life, for me or pet mammals or kind of follow what I mentioned. (Health healing would be a little different for physical injury.)

Take Airborne (very high vitamin, and some mineral dosage containing product), consume way above average amounts of water, protein, and plant varieties. Oh and forgot to mention Aloe Vera, oils (like Omegas) and any form of antioxidants. For me, usually aloe juice, sometimes directly applying to injured area. And besides all the plant antioxidants, tea, and depending on my mood/how I'm feeling, red wine
big_smile.png

I had all 4 wisdom teeth pulled out, 2 were impacted so they really had to dig and cut in a lot since they were inside my gums. I went grocery shopping and bought same stuff I mentioned, prep'd 48 hours on the diet. Afterwards, instead of not eating like most people, I was having blender shakes. Greek yogurt for protein. That same day I took the gauze out, next day (prob around 30hrs post op) I was out with friends eating a McDouble. (I was young and used to eat gross food too)

Again, I'm not a doctor or vet, I'm not even an experienced duck owner yet. But my logic is your body has things, and uses more of them to heal, so I put even more in to help and it seems to work: Vitamins, Minerals, Enzymes, Oils/fats, water, etc

If I were recommending for a duck, I'd say pay for a vet, watch what they do and learn (and share with us! maybe make a video
wink.png
). After doing it once, you'll find out if it was needed or not, but you'll be making a safe call, and you want your baby to be safe...and ask about diet as well. In my experience, docs/vets normally have little to say on good foods, or anything that helps. Its not a focus area, or something they learned in school. But they'll say bad foods/ideas. One time I did learn about Glucosamine and MSM, and anti-inflammatory information and food. That was very very useful.

Besides vet, I'd recommend a combo of Starter feed, and Breed feed, for the nutrition. A small amount of AirBorne in water, or small amount of Vitamins & Electrolyte powder in water. And maybe a calcium supplement, not greek yogurt or other dairy. Leg has to be set correctly or it'll heal wrong. Birds are different and I don't know about them.. hollow bones I believe.

Disclaimer:

Again, this is all based on my logic.

This has not been tested on ducks.

The medical information provided is, at best, of a general nature and cannot substitute for the advice of a medical professional (for instance, a qualified doctor/physician, nurse, pharmacist/chemist, and so on). I am not a doctor. Nothing posted should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine.

This information is not intended to treat, diagnose, cure or prevent any disease. All material provided is provided for information purposes only. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health care provider with any questions you have regarding a medical condition, before undertaking any diet, exercise, other health program, or other procedure.

Still think you should have a vet look at it.

Ducks try their best not to show pain, It's a survival instinct. Predators go after the weak, sick and not so good. So they try to cover it up to increase their chance of survival.

Back
Top Bottom