Please help me ID my 2 new chicks! (PICS)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by sred98, May 7, 2008.

1. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I hate posting this without pics, but I can't get my camera to capture the color of this little guy/girl correctly.[​IMG]

I picked up 2 babies at the feedstore yesterday. One is going to be a full sized hen, unsure of the breed. She looks like she may have a rose comb, so once it comes in she shouldn't be that difficult.

The one I am really curious about is the little Bantam. This is the weirdest color chick I have ever seen! He is a pale bluish/silver. With a dark patch on his rump and back of his neck. His head is almost completely silky white with some blue ticking. The comb looks like a single (it's just barely a little ridge, but compared to the pullet, it is definitely a single) His feet look pink compared to hers, which are yellow. He is starting to get some wing and tail feathers in. If you drew a line down the center of the feather, half would be snow white, the other would be speckled black with white. There are no feathers on the feet, and no crest.

If I can get a good picture, I will try and post it. I thought with his weird coloring, maybe it wouldn't be so hard to figure it out. I really don't know if it is male or female, but with his bossy attitude with the big chick, I am guessing he might be a little bantam male.[​IMG]

Thanks so much,

Shelly

Edit: I was able to get my computer to upload some pics...Here goes! I hope y'all can ID for me. I apologize in advance if these are too large. I don't know how to resize, I am just taking them directly off of Photobucket. The little Bantam (roo?) is named either Trace Adkins or Roger, depending on the 7yo's mood, and the pullet is named Petunia.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  2. fancyfowl4ever

fancyfowl4ever Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2008
    Cranbrook, BC, Canada
    Silver laced Old english maybe?

3. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Sounds like my bantam chick..

[​IMG]

this is what she looked like when we got her at a day old.. but she has feathered out like you said yours is.
    Someone told me possibly a silver seabright

Last edited: May 7, 2008
  4. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I got one that started out like that but yellow and blue. I now have what I believe to be a lemon blue rosecomb. Big white earlobes are starting to come in. I just saw them yesterday...I have a darker solid blue one I got at the same time too. Their rosecombs looked like a dark glob on top of their beaks. My mom thought something had bit their combs off. LOL!

5. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Willsmama-They are very similar! I can't tell if yours has a white face like mine, or not. Yours has started to feather out? How does its comb look? Mine looks like a single, but I think it is too early to really tell. Thanks for posting the pic! It is really hard to capture that light bluish silver.[​IMG]

Vamp-yours sounds beautiful! Mine definitely doesn't have any yellow on it. The new feathers coming out do look similar to the Silver Sebright or a Silver Laced Wyandotte. I guess I'll just have to "wait and see".

It looks like it is going to be a beautiful bird. I love the black and white patterns. They are so striking. And what a personality he has! He is either bossing the standard size chick around, or snuggling up under her like a momma hen. [​IMG] He already cheeps at me when I peek in there and snuggles right into my hand. It is so sweet!

Thanks for the suggestions and the pic!

sred98

6. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Ok...I double-checked the pics of the sebrights but the feathers coming in definitely have a bluish tinge to them. Will they moult these and then come in white or is there another breed it might be? Also I think I read the Wyandottes have slate legs? His are definitely pink. Also the pullet, Petunia, has a dark rosy patch on her beak. Is it going to be a horn color?

Thanks!

Shelly

7. WillsMama93

WillsMama93 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Shreveport, La
    Here's my Abigail a few days ago.. she's feathered out more. Her feathers are white with black around the edge.

[​IMG]

8. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    The gold colored one looks like a Gold Laced Wyandotte

Last edited: May 9, 2008
  9. sred98

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the updated pic on Abigail! She is really growing, and what a cute name! She and Roger/Trace Adkins might end up being the same type, after all!

I would love it if Petunia was a Golden Laced Wyandotte! I think they are beautiful and, from what I've read, are really sweet birds! Thanks so much for the input!

Shelly

10. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Hmmm. I have a golden seabright and the little blue one does look a bit like him. My oldd english are crele. They look like little chipmunks. Petunia is beautiful...I dont know about her. I havent seen any like that. Wyandotte maybe? They are both so cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by