1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help me ID my 4 new girls

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Omelette, Jul 20, 2007.

1. Omelette

Omelette Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2007
    [​IMG]
    The 2 young ones - about 6 months old

[​IMG]
    This white one is the head of the pecking order and hogs the nest, but doesn't seem to lay.

[​IMG]
    The one gave me my first egg [​IMG]

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2007
    did you get the 2 orange/red ones with the eglu? if so i'd say a ms.pepperpot or something like that - its a mutt of a rhode island red and something else its genetically designed to be an egg laying machine. the one that is on the bottom looks like a barred rock. idk about the white one

3. Omelette

Jun 29, 2007
    Thanks rosyposyosy!

I didn't get any chickens with the Eglu as I am in Canada. A friend allowed us to take 4 of her chickens, so we took what we could catch (comical).

4. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

5. Omelette

Jun 29, 2007
    Thx.

So, the more bleached the legs, the older the bird?

They are not laying like I would have hoped, but it is still early. I picked them up on Sunday. I know they need some time to acclimatize, but how much time? The barred one gave me my first couple of eggs. I think one of the young reds laid the last couple of eggs. In total I have had 5 eggs since Sunday.

6. theOEGBman

theOEGBman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    Central California
    The second one is not a Columbian Wyandotte since it has a Single Comb, but it could be a few different breeds and I dont know much about Columbian Rocks and Light Sussex, or other Columbian birds. The first 2 are definitely Red SexLinks and the last one does look like a Barred Rock. The Whole Cuckoo Maran and Barred Rock thing is confusing. Marans have White legs and their barring is kind of messy. Barred Rocks have Yellow legs and more defined barring. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by