Please help me ID these two

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rugerham, May 18, 2011.

1. rugerham

rugerham Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    I went to a Farmer's market last Saturday with my daughters and we picked out these two pullets on looks alone. Even though I grew up in the rural south we never had chickens. I really really hope they are female. [​IMG] (I asked the seller specifically for pullets)

Would someone mind taking a look at these and letting me know if you think they are females and what breed they are.

I guess finally, if they are female and about a year of age, how long should it take before they are laying in their new coop?

Thanks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2011
  2. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It's really hard to see with the pictures being so small. Can you post a bigger picture?

3. dsqard

dsqard Crazy "L" Farms

Jun 11, 2010
    York PA
    If you click on the pictures you can see them bigger. I would guess that you have two EE girls.

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Looks like two hens to me... two girls. The orange one looks EE, not sure about the other one.

5. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I agree, two EE pullets. I have two myself. They usually lay a green or blue egg!

6. Abirdbrain

Abirdbrain Chillin' With My Peeps

From one new egg to another: Obviously a Red, not obvious which one, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Production RED.... one would be my guess. As for Males, by a year, they should have developed a fighting spur, that would be above the backward toe. It would be a bony bump or quite large. Some hens will develop a small spur, but only a small bump for most as they age. Most none at all.

It is possible to have picked up Dry hens, that dont lay.[​IMG] At one year they should be productive. Inspection of the Cleoca should reveal a large vent that appears a bit raw-colorful. If small and shriveled, unused....[​IMG].... give it about ten days of good food and water. After that, trade,sell, or cull. your choice.

Any other help here? I know from past experience this may sound meaningless without something to compare to.

7. rugerham

rugerham Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2011
    Thanks to everyone who responded. I had to search what "EE" meant and learned that that stands for Easter Egg. The site I found defined it as a mutt chicken. [​IMG] I hope she will still lay a decent amount of eggs. Next time I will be more specific when I go hunting for new pullets.

8. LeezyBeezy

LeezyBeezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    Lancaster PA
    EEs are great layers!! Mine laid almost every day- until the fox got 3 out of 4. But the one left lays every sngle day. I LOVE EEs!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by