Please help me identify a bantam chick.šŸ™ˆšŸ„

DemeChick

Songster
Jul 4, 2021
I couldnā€™t resist taking this cute little polish? Bantam home with me today. Atwoodā€™s just got an assortment of bantams and couldnā€™t help beyond that point.šŸ¤”
I know there are experts out here who I can always count on and I greatly appreciate your help and advice.šŸ„°

Attachments

• 707AE2EC-5CF4-49DC-97F5-9F29B079C2F6.jpeg
    707AE2EC-5CF4-49DC-97F5-9F29B079C2F6.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 78694D9D-67E4-4D7C-B0B9-434CB3D86819.jpeg
    78694D9D-67E4-4D7C-B0B9-434CB3D86819.jpeg
    450.3 KB · Views: 3
  • 4756094F-1B05-4826-8F66-E2391FEFD6C1.jpeg
    4756094F-1B05-4826-8F66-E2391FEFD6C1.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 3
I think itā€™s a partridge silkie. I love mine! (Mines not super good quality partridge-looks mostly buff, but has dark streaks on the tail and wings)

Attachments

• DA2A3BF1-38E6-4656-ADBD-25A80061C628.jpeg
    DA2A3BF1-38E6-4656-ADBD-25A80061C628.jpeg
    424.4 KB · Views: 3
  • EE4867E7-B621-41C2-AC0D-0469C0F0CB83.jpeg
    EE4867E7-B621-41C2-AC0D-0469C0F0CB83.jpeg
    186.1 KB · Views: 3
I think itā€™s a partridge silkie. I love mine! (Mines not super good quality partridge-looks mostly buff, but has dark streaks on the tail and wings)
Thanks for sharing your pictures! I love how the buff and grey chicks are looking at each other. Iā€™m really excited to think this is a silkie. Her pouf head looked so round I think itā€™s a she. Is that an accurate guess?

Thanks for sharing your pictures! I love how the buff and grey chicks are looking at each other. Iā€™m really excited to think this is a silkie. Her pouf head looked so round I think itā€™s a she. Is that an accurate guess?
I don't know too much about sexing silkies, though I have heard of that. Though I'm not sure if it's accurate or not

Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex, especially at a young age. In my experience, their crest, once they feather in might be considered a good indicator of sex, and either an egg or crow is obviously the best indicator. Some of them are easier to determine fairly early on, but most aren't. Your little sweetheart has a vaulted skull, which is common in silkies. It will help give that rounded crest an even more full look. Once the head is feathered in, along with hackle feathers is one factor that is something to consider when determining sex. In my 3 hatchery silkies, I could tell that I had a blue cockerel early on. The two white Silkies looked nearly identical, but slowly they started to look different. I had one white pullet and one white cockerel. My breeder Silkie was confusing me until 7 months old, when I finally posted here and a week later she laid her first egg. I have seen some really nice looking Silkies coming from hatcheries recently. So, I think your Silkie is going to be gorgeous! Does it have 5 toes? We have some folks here that are very experienced with Silkies. Hopefully they'll chime in. Here's hoping your little one is a pullet šŸ˜ Congrats on that cutie!

Last edited:
Silkies are notoriously difficult to sex, especially at a young age. In my experience, their crest, once they feather in might be considered a good indicator of sex, and either an egg or crow is obviously the best indicator. Some of them are easier to determine fairly early on, but most aren't. Your little sweetheart has a vaulted skull, which is common in silkies. It will help give that rounded crest an even more full look. Once the head is feathered in, along with hackle feathers is one factor that is something to consider when determining sex. In my 3 hatchery silkies, I could tell that I had a blue cockerel early on. The two white Silkies looked nearly identical, but slowly they started to look different. I had one white pullet and one white cockerel. My breeder Silkie was confusing me until 7 months old, when I finally posted here and a week later she laid her first egg. I have seen some really nice looking Silkies coming from hatcheries recently. So, I think your Silkie is going to be gorgeous! Does it have 5 toes? We have some folks here that are very experienced with Silkies. Hopefully they'll chime in. Here's hoping your little one is a pullet šŸ˜ Congrats on that cutie!
Thank you for the valuable information. I just checked on my new chicks at 4:30am and found the silkie perfectly warm and safe inside the feed container! I think it looked like a little tunnel to explore-just its size. Iā€™ll check the toe count next time I look.šŸ˜‰

Back
Top Bottom