Please help me identify breed and sex

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Julic, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    This baby came in my shipment from a hatchery. I ordered all pullets and accounted for all the different breeds that I ordered. (the black chick in the photo is older which is why it is the same size. I have not been able to place this one and it seems like an extra and it does not match anything I ordered. Anyway this little one was the same size as the others when they came 2 weeks ago. All tiny and brand new. Now it seems to be growing fast and not really feathering out (except on wing tips) as if it was older than the others, just getting bigger in general. Legs are thick. I think it is probably a cockerel but not positive. It has grown bigger than the Black Giants that came in the shipment and they are a big breed. So please help. I don't know what breed or for sure if it is a cockerel.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. smarsh2

smarsh2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    looks like a rooster of a large species, is that a rose comb? Are the legs clean?

3. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    The legs were a little dusty and the feet were dirty. I cleaned them up and in the good light it looks like the upper portion of the leg is yellow but the feet have a greenish tint to them. From what I can tell it is a rose comb but these are my first chicks so it is hard for me to tell. I have an adult Dominique but I got her older (so I know what a rose comb should look like) it is just hard for me to tell on a baby. Sorry.
    ~~Here are a couple more pics

.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Easter Egger roo?

5. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Well EE would make sense with the greenish feet. No pea comb but rose comb would be okay right? Cant they have a mix of comb? I am just shocked at how huge this baby is compared to other chicks the same age. Even larger than the Jersey Giants. Thanks!

6. RoostersCrow HensDeliver!

RoostersCrow HensDeliver! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    SE Michigan
    I would say EE as well, just going by the green feet. I can't see the comb very well in any of the pictures but it could be a relatively smooth pea comb. I have an EE pullet whose comb is practically flat to her head.

1 person likes this.
  7. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Thanks!!!

8. smarsh

smarsh Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2009
    lexington, KY
    i really don't think this is an EE
    just too heavy bodied, and no sign of tuffs, i know, could be mixed, but not likely from a hatchery, looks like a single comb to me. I don't know what it is but it looks more like a heavier breed. Wouldn't be the first time i was wrong.

9. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    I agree with what you wrote about his size being bigger than EE but are there any other breeds with green feet? I took some pics of him next to a little pullet that I got from the feed store to show the size comparison. I know a roo will be a little bigger but, wow. . She was advertised as Araracana and is older than him by at least a week or two according to her feather production. I hope she is what they advertised...ugh! being a newbie at this breed combination, (EE, ARA, AME). I am learning a lot. They have similarities except her legs are blue. Same coloring around the head but no muffs or tuffs like you wrote. In the top picture they are standing right next to each other.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

He still towers over her at 2 weeks of age.

10. Julic

Julic Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2013
    Here are some updated photos of little "baby huey". He is going on 5 weeks now. Still towers over the other chicks (he is taller than a bottle of water). Anyway, I realized after my original post that on my shipping invoice from McMurray that they gave me a free "rare exotic breed". I looked around on line and see that they commonly do that. Would be nice if they would tell what that breed is.
    He is going to be very beautiful by his markings but I still am not sure if he is an EE. His feet no longer look green to me and he doesn't have any tuffs or muffs. Now they look yellow and there is a red line down the back outer side of his legs (vertical). Regardless of being a boy, he has the calmest, sweetest temperament of all the chicks.
    Any more ideas? Still thinking EE?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by