1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help me identify my sex links I'm new to this

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tonysamcarson, Apr 11, 2016.

1. tonysamcarson

tonysamcarson New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    [​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    if I'm thinking right, when feathered in in a few weeks, cockerels will develop feathers that have a "barred" pattern while pullets will remain black. I have absolutely no experience with black sex links though, so don't take my guess as an expert opinion :lol:

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    [​IMG] It looks like you have a bunch of black sexlink pullets. [​IMG]

4. tonysamcarson

tonysamcarson New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Oh thank goodness we were scared it was all males

5. tonysamcarson

tonysamcarson New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    My husband thought because the back of them was popping up it was a male...so females have a tail that lifts as well remember I'm new to this lol

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    Black sex link cockerel chicks have a white dot on the head. Pullets are solid black.

7. tonysamcarson

tonysamcarson New Egg

Apr 11, 2016
    Ok...because none of them have any dots on the head but there is one that is distinctively larger and has the larger thing on the beak sorry so new to this I don't know the correct lingo. Also it has a bigger feather area than all the others...so just didn't really know if they were all males or females...we are extremely confused they are 5 to 6 weeks old. Here some more pics.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by