Please help me identify Rodney's breed

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Donny, Nov 6, 2008.

1. Donny

Donny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    Hello everyone. What a great forum and site this is!

Anyway, this rooster showed up in my backyard about 3 weeks ago. No one has claimed him and I've asked around. I've grown quite attached to him and named him Rodney. I've started building a coop and run for him. I also started putting out water and he's doing a good job of eating bugs but I'm going to a feed store tomorrow. I've read it's ok to feed him layer feed but am open to be advised otherwise.

He's really skittish so I don't know how to get him to trust me or how I'll get him in the coop and run once it's finished. Any advise there would be great also.

Thinking of getting a hen or two also, but I'd like to know what breed he is first.� He looks like a Partridge Rock to me but his tail is so long. All the pics i see online though don't show a tail as long for that breed. There was another breed he looked similar to but his feet, beak, and ear lobe section is not white as the other breed described/showed.

Thanks in advance for any help!

CLICK ON PICTURE FOR A VIDEO
    taken a week ago. Please ignore my amused goofy voice in the vid =P

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. bubbazmommy

bubbazmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    Albany, ME
    WOW!! He is beautiful.

3. Looks like a red jungle fowl roo. He is a bit dark though. He has the comb, the tail feathers and the markings. These roos can be very friendly. Put out poultry grain for him. Keep up the visitations and talk to him. Most of these roos are wild becuase the owners like it this way. He probably wondered off or got thrown out of his territory. They are bred to fight and will kill other roos of thier same origin. They really only like other red jungle fowl hens and when they collect them the become very loyal to the roo. Good Luck, nice bird to have on your property. You can click on my BYC link below and see mine.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2008
  4. mikarod

mikarod Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Looks like an American Gamecock to me...

[​IMG]

5. Donny

Donny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    rimshoes: that's the other breed i thought it might be but mine doesn't have the white feet beak or ears. and the saddle and neck feathers are stringier and lined with dark. if you at the video by clicking the pic you can see the feet are bright (BRIGHT) yellow. the ears are red and the beak is yellow.

here's the jungle fowl and partridge rock for comparison.

jungle

[​IMG]

and partridge rock

[​IMG]

6. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I agree with mikarod, american game fowl. NO way it is a partridge rock. He is gorgeous! Best of luck with him.

7. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    I think he is a game fowl as well. Pretty bird [​IMG] I hope you can get him safely in the coop and find him some girls!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008
  8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    He's your regular ol' run o' the mill game.

Good size, too.

9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

red gamecock,,,, heres mine thats a red roundhead.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Donny

Donny Out Of The Brooder

Nov 6, 2008
    Orlando, FL
    so everyone thinks american gamecock? ok.

whatever he is i like him [​IMG]

i went out and got him food today (surprised how cheap scratch was) and a hanging feeder and a 1 gallon waterer thingy.

his coop is almost done too. one or two more days work should finish it up. i should take pics and get out of this thread huh.

where would i get a couple of hens for him? not very interested in raising from a chick but i don't know. if it not difficult maybe. this is all new and very interesting to me.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by