Please help me identify these babies

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Our mixed brood, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Our mixed brood

Our mixed brood New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    Hi,
    We are new to raising back yard chickens. We bought our babies in February and have had so much fun watching them grow. We can't however figure out what breed they might be. We bought them in a mixed batch so they weren't separated into breeds and we had no idea what we really wanted so we took our chances. So if someone out there can help identify what breed they might be I would be very thankful.

[​IMG]
    This is our very handsome boy, Black Eyed Pea.

[​IMG]
    This is "Pepper". We think she is a Plymoth Rock, but she is almost solid black on her back which you can't see very well in this pic. Her comb flops over. Is that normal?

[​IMG]
    This is "Hawk" Not sure what she is but she is much smaller than the rest of the hens and I'm not sure what kind of comb she has. Is it a "V" comb?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and this is "Shadow" She is the most difficult for us to figure out because her earlobes are white. She is the sweetest of all of the hens. Very social.

Thanks so much for your help and we are looking forward to being able to sound smart when telling other back yard chicken fans what our bird are! lol [​IMG]

Cindy [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  2. ramirezframing

ramirezframing Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2011
    Knee Deep
    pete and pepper look like anconas, hawk might be a better cup, shadow looks like a white face black spanish

3. babyrnlc

babyrnlc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Tulsa, Ok
    Not sure about the others, but the first two definitely look like Anconas, a roo and a pullet!

Here is Dottie, our Ancona pullet

[​IMG]

4. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    I haven't kept any of these breeds, but I am thinking that Shadow is a Black Minorca (I think that White Face Black Spanish have a white face, not just earlobes). I also am wondering if Pepper could be an Exchequer Leghorn (because of the floppy comb) some hatcheries are starting to sell them and I really don't know enough to tell the difference between them and Anconas--maybe more white in the tail? What hatchery did you get your chicks from? Hawks comb is not a V comb but a buttercup comb and is a Sicilian Buttercup. Very pretty birds!

5. dretd

dretd Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2009
    Ft Collins, CO
    Oh, and I forgot, Our Mixed Brood [​IMG]

6. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

You have a beautiful assortment of birds!

I agree with Dretd -

Ancona for Black eyed pea and Pepper.

Sicilian Buttercup for Hawk

Black Minorca for Shadow

7. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    The first two are both Ancona's. The 3rd one is a Silican Buttercup. I am not sure on the last one, sorry.

8. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I agree with the previous posters! How lucky you got such unusual breeds! I got a few unusual ones this year, too. [​IMG] It looks to me like you have a pair of anconas, a Sicilian buttercup, and a Minorca. [​IMG]

9. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    Wow, great colorful selection of birds! [​IMG]

10. Our mixed brood

Our mixed brood New Egg

Jul 28, 2011
    Thank you all so much!! My kids were so excited this morning to see other bird that looked like theirs. Every one of them was right on! My son was the most excited because he found out the Sicilian buttercup is a rare breed. [​IMG]
    @ babyrnlc- I was trying to figure out where in my backyard that picture of Pepper was taken until I read above and realized that it was Dottie! My daughter didn't believe me at first when I told her it wasn't her bird. Thanks for the pic.
    @dretd- We didn't get them from a hatchery, we got them from our local IFA store. I'm sure I can find out if you would like to know.
    Again, thank you all so much... I'm sure I/we will be on here a lot!! I didn't realize how much fun chickens could be!! Crazy!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by