Please help me identify these little guys/gals

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by WillsBirdHouse, Apr 11, 2012.

1. WillsBirdHouse

WillsBirdHouse New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    Well, they are all around 4-6 weeks old I think. We have 14 total which were all bought at TSC. I only want to keep one rooster and am afraid that I ended up with much more. I have never raised birds and don't know what signs to look for with each breed to determine sex. I have heard that you just have to wait until they start crowing but surely there is something sooner than that.

These are the ones I am really concerned about because they are so beautiful:
    [​IMG]

I would like to keep one of these because they are so massive, I would think that a huge male would do more to protect the flock if a predator became a threat. Am I wrong? Here is one of two big'uns:

[​IMG]

And of course, an overal pic of them huddled up for sleepy time:

[​IMG]

Thanks for any help you can offer!!

-Steve

ps. I know that there is no such thing as a "battle chicken", but if one can fight long enough to make me aware of a problem then I am willing to sacrifice the biggest "battle chicken" available.

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    The guys at the top look like Barred Rocks and the one below it looks like a Cornish cross [​IMG]

3. teeville5

teeville5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Michigan
    I would say the top 2 are boys judging by age and comb. Is your 'massive' chicken the same age? If so, then he is a cornish meat bird and he is meant for the dinner table and cannot be your flock protector. Sorry.

4. Jakl

Jakl Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Could the big white one be a cornish cross?? They will get too big for their own legs, and must be butchered.

The two in the first pic are barred rock, I believe, the bigger one a Roo, and the smaller a pullet. (I could be VERY wrong)

Look for spur buds on their legs, pullets have little spur buds too, but they are much different than a cockerells are. I think I can see them on the top picture?

As far as "battle chickens", we invested in a pair of geese. They do a wonderful job of running off dogs, coyotes, skunks...etc. Just do your research, and find a breed that is more docile. We have Tolouse, they don't go after us, but hate "intruders."

5. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    If it is one of those Cornish Cross, just be prepared, don't get attached to him/her. [​IMG]

6. Nsampsel

Nsampsel Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2012
    East Central Ohio
    The first 2 are Barred Rocks...couldn't tell you gender because I'm still learning how to determine that in young birds.

No clue what the fat white ones are...but in the group pic you seem to have several Red Stars/Production Reds & maybe some Tetra Tints...all good layers.

7. Queen of the chickens

Queen of the chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Unionville, MO
    That is definitely Cornish Cross. They grow really fast and will usually drop dead at 6 months of age from heart failure, if you don't butcher them before that. Plus they are poop machines and stink the joint up. A barred rock rooster would be a better choice for flock protector.

8. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    Those Barred Rocks have some huge meaty legs [​IMG]

9. WillsBirdHouse

WillsBirdHouse New Egg

Mar 31, 2012
    I will post up more pics in a few weeks of the barred rocks. The cornish crosses already seem very lazy; they just waddle to the food or water then camp there until their needs change. I think they have always just sat around. I'm not really looking forward to the butchering stage. How long until they are ready for the chopping block? I am feeling inclined to get rid of them now rather than feed them for a few more months. I swear, those two eat as much as 5 or 6 of the others.

-Steve

10. JerseyGiantfolk

Jan 12, 2012
    About 6-8 weeks is time for butchering. Any longer usually than that they can just plop on their backs and die...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by