Please help me identify who is laying this egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickencrazy999, Dec 3, 2013.

1. chickencrazy999

chickencrazy999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Hello so I am getting a little white egg about 4/5 times a week and was wondering if you could tell me who is laying this egg so I have 9 chickens 5 hybrids all lay brown eggs and then 2 bantams one pekin and one brahma but also I have two well supposed to be miniature white silkies as they are getting quite big now well the two silkies are about 8 months old although the women I bought them from said they will not start laying until the spring/summer next year and the two bantams are about a year and a half and the person we bought them from said that the pekin had just stopped being broody and that they had stop laying for the winter as they do I will post a few pics of them. [​IMG]. Above Alice pekin bantam [​IMG]. Above dandelion suspect as in the morning gets protective over nesting box and starts clucking [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] and some pics of the flock and the two silkies [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I think you are probably right in suspecting Dandelion to be the culprit seeing as she protects the nest box in the morning plus the colour and size of the egg is what would be expected from her.

3. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Oh ok thanks yes so what colour eggs do silkies lay thanks :)

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    Hi I'd imagine silkies lay a similar egg though I have never kept silkie hens before so can't be sure, the egg could also be Alice's as I have had Pekins before and their eggs look similar, you may have to keep a close eye on them from now on to find out who has laid it, try to figure out when the egg is laid and watch who goes in and out and who reappears when you find it!

5. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Thats a silkie i have some now and thats exactly what there eggs look like

6. silkiechick1994

silkiechick1994 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2013
    Paris TN
    Yup that's a silkie egg all right. I'm getting about 12 or so a day from my little ones. Your silkies should be laying by now if they are that old. And they are so fluffy!!!

7. chickencrazy999

Apr 6, 2013
    England, UK
    Ok yes thanks I am now getting 2 of those about 5/6 times a week ! i suspecting it is the silkies aswell

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by