Please Help Me Make Up My Mind!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by S&SPoultryExchange, Sep 8, 2009.

1. S&SPoultryExchange

S&SPoultryExchange Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]I have a beautiful mutt rooster that has been in my hands for quite a while. He was my first. I love him to death and thought I would never part from him.
    But I am now being rushed to get rid of the multiple pens and build one large pen. If I do this then I am going to get into a single breed and have only them.
    I dont wanna get rid of him but this can seriously interfere with my breeding. Somebody tell me im not crazy for making a big ordeal out of this.
    Should I keep another pen and just not be able to let him free range during the day or should I find a good loving home for him? PLZ HELP!!!![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Eggs4Sale

Eggs4Sale Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2009
    Two words:

Chicken tractor.

3. S&SPoultryExchange

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    I would but im kinda limited on what i can do. I am planning on building this exact coop.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=12626

And Im not wanting to have any other pens. But I have multiple small pens now. I could keep one but like i said he wont be able to free range. I can give him to someone that can allow that but i dont really want to give him away. You get what im saying or am i just being confusing?

4. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    No, I'm the same way, but people refer to me as 'difficult'.

If he was mine, I'd keep him, even if it was on the roof of my car. Then he could really fly!

5. S&SPoultryExchange

Aug 3, 2009
    Concord, NC
    lol ok thanks. But one problem my car is super slow. lol

6. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    I shouldn't have looked. I KNEW I shouldn't have looked!

Your coop is nicer than my house. Seriously.

[​IMG]

I see the problem, though. You built a one-room schoolhouse and you don't even have a garage that you can convert into a bachelor's pad.

How about a LEAN-TO on the back of the coop, where nobody will see it? But it seems it gets cold where you are. You'd have a frozen drumstick in no time.

Hmmm. You seem to have positioned yourself in the position where you only have one choice, but let me ask first: Doesn't your wife's snoring bother you?

7. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Okay, I'm hoping this doesn't sound too terrible to you or anyone else, but how would you feel about caponizing him? In my own opinion it seems like a silly thing to do to a rooster just for meat, but in the case of wanting to keep a beloved pet rooster without the risk of interfering with a breeding operation . . . well, would it not be an idea to look into?

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  8. Eggs4Sale

Jun 29, 2009
    Quote:Is this better than giving him some Trojans and telling him to be responsible? [​IMG]

I have a feeling I'm going to be banned for that one.

9. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Quote:Is this better than giving him some Trojans and telling him to be responsible? [​IMG]

I have a feeling I'm going to be banned for that one.

[​IMG]

10. SushiLove

SushiLove Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2009
    South Jersey
    Two words: House chicken!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by