1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help me & my chicks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by nancylee, Oct 16, 2009.

1. nancylee

nancylee Out Of The Brooder

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    Day 18 & my first time.
    My egg (#8)started to move yesterday and all day today along with 2 others (#9 & 10). #8 stoped tonight, I got worried and candelled, no movement, air sack big, not like day 17. I opened it on big end, still no movement. Did I do something wrong. Chick fully developed but blood was there. Yoke looked good. Please help before I kill the rest.
    [​IMG]
    Sitting here crying, this is hard
    Nancy

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Nancy,
    That happens some times. Are you in lock down now? Did you raise your humidity, and open the vents? Now, is just time to wait. Good luck.

BTW: [​IMG]

3. nancylee

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    I am on lock down now, and raised the humidity. Did not open vents as I live on a flat island and thought that was for higher areas. Should I open them?
    Thanks for replying so quick.
    Nancy

4. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    You should always open the vents, that's for more air circulation. The chicks use up more oxygen when they are trying to hatch.

The one that you opened, did you nick a vein when you opened it, or did the chick do it? They do that sometimes, hit a vein when trying to pip.

5. nancylee

Sep 17, 2009
    Montague, PEI
    It is my very first time doing this, I don't think I hit it, but I can't be sure. I just got my chickens (3 grown batams) last month, I am so new to chickens.
    Nancy

6. carriehelene

carriehelene Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2009
    Capital Region NY
    Nancy, please don't open any more eggs. They don't rock constantly, only when they are working on getting into position for hatching. They rest alot, getting ready for hatch. That last 4 days, they are really filling up the egg, so other than positioning, I don't imagine they do a whole lot of moving, and seeing that movement becomes much more difficult. Opening the eggs is a last resort for eggs that are several days past due. I know it's hard (worse than labor imo) but just leave the eggs alone while in lockdown. No candling. I'm sorry you lost your baby, our first incubations are definately a learning experience, during which we all make mistakes, so try to enjoy the rest of your hatch, and not worry too much.

7. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

why don't you leave them till 21st?

be patience...

good luck. [​IMG]

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Patience for them to hatch on their own. I've very rarely had eggs rocking and rolling or seen movement in the egg especially on day 18. Your on lock down so that means no more candling or opening the incubator. They take their time with pips and zipping out for a reason. It can take 24 hours or longer from pipping to hatching out of the shell.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by