Please help me!!! my hen is lethargic with undigested grains and yellow urates in poop

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by DorisBondo, Jan 26, 2014.

1. DorisBondo

DorisBondo Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2014
    I have a pet chicken and from 6 weeks I took her to many vets because she had diarheea. She took antibiotics and she was wormed. After the treatment she stop to make diarheea but appeared other problems. Last week I made a laboratory investigation of the poop and it was negative. I think she has a digstive problem because she don't want to eat anything and I force her to eat special food for chickens. If a give her to eat grains(even rice) she pass them undigested. She drink water(with probiotics) and she is very lethargic. She want to sleep all day long. Another thing is that the poop have yellow urates insted of white urates. Also she is molting but not very much and she didn't make any egg from six weeks.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Please help me because I love very very much my little hen I don't have any alternative because I don't have any avian vet in my region. I will be very grateful if you could give me any sort of advice to help my little friend.

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    How old is she? Does she have access to grit? Have you checked to see if she has an impacted crop?

Anther issue to consider is a coccidiosis overload/outbreak. How many birds do you have?

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  3. DorisBondo

Jan 26, 2014
    She is about 2 years old and she hasn't an impacted crop because in the morning her crop is empty. she has acces to grit but she is not interested...

no coccidiosis because the vet gave her treatment for that and I made laboratory investigations which not discovered to be something wrong.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Where do you live?

-Kathy

5. DorisBondo

Jan 26, 2014
    She is my only bird. I don't have others animals, I love her with all my heart and she is like my baby!

6. DorisBondo

Jan 26, 2014
    I live in Romania and here we unfortunately don't have any avian vets

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member Project Manager

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    What medications can you get?

-Kathy

8. DorisBondo

Jan 26, 2014
    I don't know. She took antibiotics, she was wormed and now I give her some probiotics in water.

9. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Just to clarify,treating for worms is not the same as treating for Coccidiosis. Worm medication will do nothing for coccidiosis. Coccidiosis is a parasitic infection of the intestinal tract,but not like typical worms.

What are you feeding her? When was the last time she ate?

10. ten chicks

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Question regarding rice being passed undigested.you saw white pieces that looked like rice. If so you may be seeing tapeworms. Not all worm medications will kill tapeworms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by