1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help me!! My hens cannot breathe and sulmet isn't working

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by unix_micki, Sep 12, 2011.

1. unix_micki

unix_micki Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    The only other thing i have is terramycin until my shipped meds arrive wednesday. They appear to be worse on sulmet....any suggestions before i loose more hens?

thx

2. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    What is the difference between coryza and respiratory disease?

3. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    Make sure it's not gape worms.

4. KIDDSBANTAMS

KIDDSBANTAMS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    Lexington
    With the coryza there will be a very bad smell coming from their noses, and I mean bad. Also as soon as you stop treating it usually comes right back, there is no cure for coryza.

5. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    I haven't noticed a smell.

How do I check for gape worms??

Would gape worms transfer from chicken to chicken in about 30 hours?

6. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    If you have a TSC close by, go get a bottle of Tylan 50 and give them a .5cc injection in the back of the neck under the skin, not IM like the instructions call for. I just had the same trouble a week ago and nothing else was working and once I did that my prized Barnvelder hen was breathing, eating and drinking within an hour after the first injection. You will want to give one injection per day for a minnimum of 3 days.

The best thing to do is go to your pharmacy also and get a 1cc syringe with a 27gauge needle as well, I think the smallest needle TSC has is 22 gauge which does hurt the hen a little but if you can get a smaller one like the 27 gauge then she will hardly feel the shot at all.

Good luck, hope something helps you soon,

You can do a search for Tylan on here and find numerous posts where other folks have done the same with good results

7. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    Use Q-tips to check for gapeworm. Gapeworm is rare. Have someone help you. Catch one of the most sickly chickens. One person can hold her, and hold up her head, gently raising her head up.. (straightening out her neck) the other person can pry open the beak, and use the q-tip (hold onto it well)... use the q-tip to reach down as far as you can (this will only be a couple of inches, as q-tips are short)... reach down into the back of the throat, down as far as you can and swab the throat... pull the q-tip out and examine it for gapeworms. No worms on the q-tip, no gapeworm.
    Chickens can get a variety of symptoms from a variety of worms, and can die from worms. I never saw worms in my chickens poop and they did not have gapeworm, but they were sick often and I lost two, and they got dramatically better after a worming regiment with Valbazen.
    If you use the BYC (this site's) search.. search for How much Valbazen, or Worming with Valbazen. If they have any type of worm this will help very quickly.
    Here is a link to a website where you can see info and pictures on several kinds of worms.
    How and how much, withdrawal period for eggs, etc... all tha is here, on BYC.. recent posts by dawg53 will be reliable information.
    Feed stores sell antibiotics, wormers, and syringes and needles. No wormer is really made for chickens that I know of, Valbazen safely kills a variety, all types of worms.
    It is given orally. 1/2 cc / ml for each standard size chicken. 1/4 cc / ml for each bantam chicken... carefully given orally, making sure not to put it into the windpipe. Given oraly back further and to the side.. avoiding the hole (windpipe) directly behind the tongue.
    Valbazen is expensive and comes in a large bottle. I was able to buy from an open bottle that the guy at my feed store was willing to sell 12 ccs from... the regular bottle was $50. there.. less at Jefferslivestock, but you probably don't want to wait for another shipment, you need to act quickly.
    I am not sure about giving the Valbazen when you have been giving other medications... search here for more experienced information on that.
    If and when you give any wormer.... it should be given and then repeated, given again ten days later. Withhold (don't eat) eggs after giving Valbazen .... for the whole time, until the 15th day after the second worming or the 25th day from the first worming/dosage.
    So far, I have noticed that worming is more often the cure than antibiotics are... and, I guess that depends on whether you have wormed for all types of worms (using Valbazen) recently or not. There are more experienced people here on BYC... seek their counsel. dawg53 is a reliable member here for worming information as well as other treatments.... search for his recent posts.

http://poultrykeeper.com/common-articles-to-all-poultry/health/worms-in-chickens-ducks-geese.html

Good luck.

8. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    If they have worms (couldn't see any) would that also come with a watery/bubbly eyes?

9. ChickenTender63

ChickenTender63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2008
    Alamance, NC
    No, gapeworms will not cause bubble eye or runny nose but the
    Tylan 50 will take care of it quick tho.

What kind of meds do you have coming on Wednesday?

10. unix_micki

Sep 12, 2011
    Gillamyacin
    Coryza vacinne
    Tylan 50

I have about 5 hens that may not make it till then [​IMG] had to dispose of 6 already....this is horrible

we called all around and no one had Tylan 50 so we had no choice but to wait.

Now with Tylan 50, that goes into the breast or just under the skin in the breast area?? we will have about 25 hens to do wednesday.

praying for my girls to make it until then

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by