1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

please help me, my roosters waddle is fat

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jinglesassy, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    He has something nasty going on but I have no idea what...Those wattles should not look like that, I say an infection and he needs on an antibotic...like Terramycin...

Do you have a vet that would look at him?....

I hope someone can tell you more.....

2. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    how is he acting?
    How is his poop?
    Is he eating and drinking less?

He does not look good so more information on how he is acting would really help.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, I'd want to say infection or tumors there... I don't know what to say but your rooster looks sick other wise. Might be a much larger problem than just fat waddles.

4. jinglesassy

jinglesassy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    acting:like a complete diffrent rooster, he doesnt try to even stay near his 7 hens
    poop:havent seen him poop recently
    drinking and food:he is eating normally but falling into the food ocasinally, drinking he drinks normally but falls into the water sometimes

5. davecash

davecash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2007
    kaintucky
    wow that is nasty

6. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

That was the first thing I thought of-Fowl Cholera. Cant say for sure if that's what he has, but if so, it isn't good. You may need a vet to diagnose it. This is one of those things that make them carriers for life and I dont want to alarm you unnecessarily; see statement below:
    Although drugs usually alter the course of a fowl cholera outbreak, affected birds remain carriers and the disease has a tendency to recur when treatment is discontinued. This may necessitate prolonged treatment with drugs added to the feed and water. Sulfa drugs and broad spectrum antibiotics (Penicillin) usually control losses.

Here is a good website page to look at with more information on that and other things:
    http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/disbact.htm

8. SimplcitiyAltered

SimplcitiyAltered Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2007
    Grand Ridge, Iillinois
    Quote:This is what I am thinking as well as a precaution I would quarantine him from the rest of your flock as this is highly contagious. The only thing that doesnt fit is he is eating and drinking like normal. I am researching this for you will see what I can find. I would get him to an avian vet asap better to be safe then sorry.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2007
  9. jinglesassy

jinglesassy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2007
    thanks for all your help you guys! and i am gonna get an antibiotic for him and icolate him

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by