please help me! new mom,fox attacked kids

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lilchknhawk, Nov 14, 2014.

1. lilchknhawk

lilchknhawk New Egg

Nov 14, 2014
    I really need someones help, I founf one of my girls today dead and my dogs were then tearing at her, then I found my other RIR in the coop,but shes half eaten. my hearts broken because im new at this chicken thing and as a mother, I cant help my baby, and its killing me. i have her in a box right now by the heater cuz its cold outside,but now what do I do?? anybody? it happened last night or this morning?her skin is completely off her back, showing muscle,also a small whole,looks like organs, then also her hind end looks pretty bad,its torn up pretty bad,amd, she did eat a little bit earlier,but not sure what to do now?

2. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Welcome to the forums but sorry on such a bad note. Quite honestly I hate to day but I would suggest having someone cull her if u can't do it. With the injuries u explained I personally think it would be better for the chicken to cull than to let her the way she is. Sorry.

3. vehve

vehve The Token Finn

The damage you describe sounds pretty severe. I think you need to weigh your own feelings against the pain that the chicken is feeling, and consider culling her. It's one of the darker sides of keeping animals that no one tells you about before you get the them, but sometimes you'll have to put the animal's best interests in front of your own feelings.

Also, are you sure it was a fox? Even small dogs can take down a chicken pretty easily, especially when it's dark. I lost one of our girls to our miniature dachshund a few days ago due to my own negligence. You should check your run for possible entry points.

4. Toddrick

Toddrick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2014
    Indiana
    Welcome to BYC. So sorry for your loss. As others have stated, the injuries sound very serious, and if you cannot get her to a vet, then you might want to put her out of her misery. If you cannot stomach that, just keep her comfortable and warm.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    So sorry about your girls and what has happened :hugs
    I agree with the previous posts the damage to her sounds bad and the best option would be to cull her so she dosnt suffer anymore. I know just how your feeling, only last week my favourite bird had to be culled as it just wasn't fair to keep him going just for my own sake and feelings. It was a very difficult decision but afterwards I knew I had done the right thing for him.
    As vehve said it is the darker side of keeping animals but these decisions have to be made no matter how hard they are for the animals sake.

Your not alone I'm sure everyone here has suffered this difficult decision in their time as chicken keepers :hugs

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    I agree with the others. It would be best to cull her due to the severe injuries. There's also the possibility of unseen internal injuries. I wish you the best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by