Please help me out. Quial sexing? pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by shay20, May 11, 2009.

1. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Can any one help me tell if these are boys or girls?

This one i just noticed the bald spot on the top of its head, so im guessing girl?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok here is my odd one the only one that hatched this color.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  2. monarc23

monarc23 Coturnix Obsessed

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:The first three you cannot sex visually, those are tibetans and tuxedos they are not sexed by looking at the feathers. And no a bald head does not mean hen sorry. [​IMG]

The last one isn't an oddball lol...it's a Golden Roo [​IMG]

ETA your colors are

1. bird is a tibetan (aka british range)
    2. is a tuxedo
    3. a tuxedo too
    and 4. is a golden (also know as a speckled italian).

ETA again....your birds are still too young to sex as well. In about 2 more weeks your golden (and any others that are males) will start crowing.... and if you post on the other fowl board (where the coturnix freaks are) you'll learn a lot about them [​IMG]

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  3. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    how do you tell if they are boy and girl?
    The bald spot is new i was thinking if, on a rooster and hen the hen gets a bald spot becouse of the roo tagging and holding her. so i was thinking if the same thing was happeing.
    How do quial start mateing? these are about 6 weeks

4. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    One makes a lot of noise , like its yelling at me.

5. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:Are you sure they are 6 weeks old? They would be fully feathered by 6 weeks. Your tuxedos still have yellow chick eyebrow down so they surely aren't 6 weeks old yet unless somehow you have slow growers. [​IMG]

Also, coturnix hens will even grab eachother by the back of the head when having a spat. Or that bird could have gotten that by head bonking. If they truely are 6 weeks old, then that yes could be a bald spot from breeding but if it is that means you have more than one roo in there and the hens are being over bred. None of my hens outside have bald spots because the ratio is kept at a certain way that keeps the hens from being over bred. [​IMG] the ratio needs to be at the least 3 hens to 1 roo, at the most 5 hens to one roo.

The roos crow before they start mating so if you havnt heard that yet it i'll be a bit [​IMG] (prob 2 more weeks tops). The male will only mate with hens that are going to be laying soon and will ignore hens that arent going to be laying yet (yeppers they know the hen tells them with a certain call).

You can only tell on tibetans and tuxedo if you see them crow, see them lay an egg, or vent sex, OR when the males are in breeding season a gland above their vent will swell and produce a foam when pressed.

6. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    Ohhh ok, they are the only 4 that i have . they me 5 weeks, i dont think they are younger than that, if any 4 weeks, i have a lot of hatchlings and i do get mad cofused on date but i do have theres down somewhere.
    do they crow like a rooster or does it sound different? i know that must be a dumb question.

7. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
    Quote:oh no no no it's not a dumb question!!! HOld on a sec and lemmie get you my Coturnix educational post link has lots of vids (one of a one of my roos crowing so you can hear it) and how to sex and all that good stuff!!!! Theres A TON OF PICTURES on it tho so give it a bit to load [​IMG]

8. monarc23

Jul 18, 2008
    Indiana, Pennsylvania
  9. shay20

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    awsome thank you. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by