Please help me out with these chicks!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Peep Talk, Jul 11, 2010.

1. Peep Talk

Peep Talk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    I just received 13 chicks and 1 duckling Saturday morning via Express Mail and then a friend of mine gave me 3 more. Can you help me out with breeds? Some I do know what they are, but I am hoping for confirmation. I will include leg color in my description along with a picture. [​IMG] Oh, and they are all between 3-5 weeks old.

This is part A, as I will get pictures of the others a little later once we get some guesses on these guys/gals. Thank you ahead of time!

Black and white chick, some shading on orange legs (sorry, couldn't get it to rotate)
    [​IMG]

Brown and black chick, green legs, pattern almost looks barred ---NOT ONE FROM THE LIST
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

ETA: Buff Rocks (Thank you!)
    [​IMG]

This is my little duckling. Did some research and this duckling is a Khaki Campbell! Hatched June 28th. (this one is crooked too)
    [​IMG]

White chick with some peachy colored feathers and an all peach face. Puffy cheeks but orange legs. ----NOT ONE FROM THE LIST
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These little chicks are identical in red coloring, one is bigger and has a white chest.
    [​IMG]

White chick with black feathers and speckling. Puffy cheeks but orange legs -----NOT ONE FROM THE LIST
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2010
  2. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Anyone? [​IMG]

3. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Please help me figure out what these guys/gals are.

4. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    All I can tell you is that those aren't Buff orpingtons, those buff ones are Buff Rocks. Alot of people mix them up.

5. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Thank you for that! I totally forgot to look at the legs. [​IMG]

6. MidnightChickenLover

MidnightChickenLover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    The first one looks like an Australorp
    Second one looks a lot like a chick I just hatched, dad is a Dark Blue Silkie/ mom is either Welsummer or New Hampshire. If you figure out that one, I must know. [​IMG]
    Duckling looks more like a Muscovy than a runner, but it is hard to tell in that picture
    The red ones look like Rhode Island Reds, or some variety.
    Do you know the breeds you ordered or are they a random mix?

7. clacasse88

clacasse88 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 13, 2009
    Wow! I posted an early post with the same as your 2nd pic. The brown & gray chick! I received one of those same chicks from MPC mystery hatch this week and am very intrigued to figure out what she is going to be. I did not got any responses, so did another posting with multiple different chicks, along with that one hoping to get a response. So far, no go. I did see one picture of a blue laced red wyandotte that I was hoping it could be, but there were a lot of different variations.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. CalebtheChicken

CalebtheChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2010
    Jeremiah, Ky.
    Hey wait, the second chick could possibly be a Golden Sebright...

Last edited: Jul 11, 2010
  9. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Oh how I wish that were true about the Golden Sebright. This chick isn't a bantam though. She is just as big as the other chicks.

As for where I got them, all but three were from a member on this forum. Here is the list of what she had to hatch from. I will go back through and mark the chicks that I received from a friend of mine. I haven't seen her chickens yet so I have no clue and she doesn't know what they could be. LOL!

Here is the list of what was ordered and hatched by a fellow BYCer.
    Golden Lakenvelder, Cuckoo Marans, Silkie, Barnevelder, Buckeye, Dominique, Jersey Giant, Easter Eggers, Barred Rock, Houdan, Buttercup, Welsummer, Serama, Cochin, Frizzle, BluLcdRedWyndot, French Wheaten Muran, Blue Splash Andalusion, Buff Orpington, Black Sex Link

I also have pictures of the others that I will post in just a minute.

10. Peep Talk

Apr 25, 2010
    Fort Loudon, PA
    Quote:Your chick looks just like mine! I'm glad that I'm not the only one with a mystery chick! LOL! Obviously it has to be something if we both have one! Is yours bantam size or large fowl?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by