Please help me pick a rooster breed!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by ChickenBoogins, Feb 9, 2012.

1. ChickenBoogins

ChickenBoogins New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Hello all. :)
    My hubby has finally agreed to let me get a coop and 6 or 7 chickens for my backyard flock. We live on 3 acres of partially wooded land, which is surrounded by another 10 acres of woods and 10 acres of farmland. Relatively rural area, with lots of hawks and large birds of prey. So I think we definitely need a roo to help protect the girls. However, I also have an 18 month old daughter who I want to be able to run freely around the chickens without fear, so I am concerned about getting an agressive rooster who will scare her. Plus, I kind of have my heart set on that traditional rooster crow and would like a "pretty" rooster if that is also possible. I have in mind a proud looking roo with long tail feathers and beautiful colors. I figure since he won't be giving us eggs, he should at least be a handsome fella! Hehe
    I loooove the look of the brown leghorn roosters, but I have read that they are more flighty and agressive, so I think that's a no. I have been researching quite a bit, but its all very confusing! I have never raised chickens before, although it has always been a dream of mine. I was wondering if any of you guys could recommend a breed or two for me to look into? And pictures and crowing descriptions would be great too.
    I am not sure if this matters, but I hope to have a mixed flock of wellsummers, easter eggers, and some kind of white chicken. (Haven't decided that one yet!) I am looking for a colorful egg basket and friendly docile hens to mostly keep as pets. They will free range most of the time. We live in central Illinois, with extremes of both heat and cold, unfortunately. Thank you for reading this long post and for helping me!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! This is so difficult! It's really a gamble. I have grandchildren, and I do worry when they come out back and my rooster is out, but he's a perfect gentleman. He's a Buckeye rooster and I got him as a two year old. (He's a champion!) LOL I think his age explains his good behavior. He's awesome.

However, I've had some very NASTY roosters that I have dispatched because they were making my chicken hobby just miserable. And they can really attack and do some damage.

Here's what I think would be your best bet: Orpingtons, and Buckeyes. Orpingtons are nice and large, and they do come in the traditional buff color, but they also come in lavendar which is beautiful! I believe they come in black too.....I did have one that was very nice. The buckeye roosters aren't as large as the orpingtons.

I would NOT recommend a Marans rooster, or a Wyandotte rooster. Those are the breeds I had bad experiences with, but truly I believe it's an individual thing, and not always the breeds.......

Good luck!
    Sharon

3. Then I Will

Then I Will Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Annville, Pennsylvania
    Definately the Orpingtons are very docile and good with children. But mostly, all roosters have their own aggressive level. Some don't care if you mess with their hens, others mind quite a bit when the girls get flustered. I never minded aggressive roosters because when they come, spurs flying towards me, I was always able to catch and "tame" them in my arms- but I understand how children feel.

I also had an EE rooster who was terribly docile if not a fraidy cat. Larger breed rooster are usually more docile than the smaller ones also. But consider any mutt rooster that holds up well in the cold and is large (the larger the bird, the pleasanter the crow). Mutt birds tend to be very pretty as well.

Hope you find your perfect big boy. Be very careful- roosters are very easy to get attatched to. They become like pets so hail him as a hero if he gives his life for the girls. :D

4. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Pretty, non-aggressive, well developed tail -

Easter Eggers
    True Ameraucanas
    Pheonixes
    Leghorns (non-hatchery stock aren't aggressive)
    Sumatras
    Yokohamas
    Old English Games
    Polish (best to avoid hatchery stock though, some might be aggressive, but some are great)
    Houdans
    Spitzhaubens
    Brabanters

To name some. Best to find a local person who will attest to their roosters and/or offspring NOT turning out aggressive or flighty. Also, Leghorns are a beautiful bird if you get colors like Brown, Dark, Exchequer, Mille Fleur, etc.

An Easter Egger rooster is almost always in a beautiful color and some have beautifully showy tails, too. Plus if you decide to hatch out chicks from your flock, you'll get more colored egg layers.

5. ChickenBoogins

ChickenBoogins New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Wow everyone! Thanks so much for the suggestions and for taking the time to post. :) That's gives me more to look up....but at least you are helping me narrow it down!
    I love love love the look of brown leghorn roosters, so maybe it would be worth it to me to look locally and try to find a nice one. Does anyone have suggestions on how to do that? Put an add in craigslist? There is still so much to learn! But I am loving every second for sure! I can't wait until spring!! Thanks again.

6. ChickenBoogins

ChickenBoogins New Egg

Feb 9, 2012
    Wow Ameraucanas are gorgeous! They would fit the bill nicely I think. :) I was planning on ordering my chicks through an online hatchery because I have not yet figured out any local sources. Any suggestions for good online sources? :D

7. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    If you want to order from a hatchery just remember, those aren't Ameraucanas you are looking at, they're mutts called Easter Eggers but still yes indeed beautiful.

As for searching for Brown Leghorns, I'd go looking through craigslist for "rooster" and see if any have pictures or descriptions that fit the bill, then as on temperament. If not that, then sure, put out a wanted ad. Or ask around any neighbors/friends who might know. And last, look around feedstores and hatcheries for chicks if you really want to take the time to wait for one to mature.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would get an EE rooster, but some are known to be aggressive. If it were me, I would rather get an older rooster who has gone through the puberty stage. They can become agreessive for a short amount of time while settling down after a year old. I haven't had any issues with my 7 month old Barred rock boy yet. He eats out of my hand and leaves all the children alone. My silkie rooster is very sweet, but I am not going to suggest something that is so horrible at protecting :lau [​IMG] Here is my Jagger. He is gentle and very good to his girls. He crows very loudly. [​IMG]

9. billiejo21

billiejo21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I had some columbian wyandotte roosters that were absolutely the most friendly roos I have ever owned!! They flew up on your arm to perch and talk to you when you went out to feed them...amazing birds...too bad we weren't breeding these birds. Tried to give them away on craigslist so they could be breeders, but no takers! We ended up butchering them (we had ordered 9 pullets and ended up with 2 pullets and 7 roos..far too many to keep!!!). Also, our LF cochin roos are amazingly friendly, gentle and docile...our 2 year old boys pick them up without trouble (besides the fact that they are 12 pounds each!!).

10. Steve234

Steve234 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Harrisville, PA
    I would try LF Cochins I have 2 Black Cochins that were 2 years old when I got them and they are very friendly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by