Please help me save my BA girl :-(

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Motomommy79, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Motomommy79

Motomommy79 New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    I have a black astro that stopped laying a week ago.

On Friday, She left the coop but walks really slowly and stands still in one place for long amounts of time.
    She has yellow / whitish droppings stuck to her bottom - I bathes her to remove them that night but they were back on Saturday morning.

I isolated her from our one other bird we have left (shes is an RI and is just fine a VERY vivacious to say the least)
    Yesterday morning her crop felt very puffy like a water balloon so I cleared her crop and A TON of green smelly bile came up and some chunks of grass.

She seems to perk up slightly after that clearing so I gave her fresh water, fage plain green yogurt and scrambled eggs, which she ate - very slowly - but still she ate!

I had to assist her onto the roost last night as she could not do it herself and this morning she was down but laying in the nestbox. She was slightly puffy in the crop so I cleared her out a little and tried to offer her water.

Now shes slow to stand and so I just put her back into the nestbox where shes comfortable since I had to get my kids to school and go to work.

Id really like to save her from suffering and I don't want to cull her if its something easily treatable...Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PS - I also checked to see if shes egg bound and that doesn't seem to be the problem

SYMPTOMS:

-Slow, Stands in one place for copious amounts of time
    -Seems fatigued
    -Doesn't run from anyone
    -No Egg production
    -Inside beak smells like sour vomit
    -whitish/yellow droppings (stuck to her bottom feathers) and water looking stuff comes with it when she does defecate

2. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Reaserch on eggs breaking inside her

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    She may have sour crop which can be caused by a fungal or bacterial infection, sometimes after food or grass getting stuck inside the crop. Treating her with probiotics, antifungal drugs such as Nystatin or Fluconazole, and some recommend emptying the crop, although that can be controversial and can cause choking and death if not done properly. If a vet is possible, I would take her in, and also get a fecal test done for worms, coccidia, and bacteria if possible. A vet can also prescribe the prescription drugs listed above.

4. Motomommy79

Motomommy79 New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Thanks for your input! I am so worried about her, Ive been having a difficult time focusing on work or anything else!
    I will contact a vet immediately and see if they can help me with getting these scripts. Thanks again!

5. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I have heard that fluconazole would be the better choice. A vet could help with emptying or flushing the crop with a crop tube also.

6. Motomommy79

Motomommy79 New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    I'm sad to report that my little girl passed yesterday while I was at work :-(

7. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    So sorry for your loss.

8. Motomommy79

Motomommy79 New Egg

Feb 23, 2015
    Thanks. I still cant believe she died, poor little thing.

9. btruegs

btruegs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2014
    Spokane WA
    Awwwh man! I am very sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by