Please help me settle an argument

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sonia, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Sonia

Sonia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    My edumacated husband is insisting that you cannot keep a roo with hens. He insists that the roo will kill all the hens. He refuses to believe anything I say (such as if you can't keep a roo with hens where exactly do chicks come from?). Please help me out here?

Also roughly how many laying hens would one want to have to keep a family of 9 in eggs (without having to buy any). I do a lot of baking including bread daily. To make eggs for breakfast we go through 2 dozen in one meal. I know this sounds like a lot but I have 4 growing boys and 3 girls.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    lol, well you are right, it is perfectly normal to keep a rooster with hens. Good laying hens will lay an egg a day during the spring through fall, and will slow down some in the winter, and through the moult. Just figure out how many eggs a day you need, and buy that many hens. Good luck!

3. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    I have 13 hens and I get approximately a doz a day so say, 6.5 dozen a week. That should help you do some math.

Duh, of course a roo can be housed with the hens. They take good care of their hens usually and protect them quite well. However, they some times get a little rough with mating and you have to seperate them for a little while so the hens feather grow back. [​IMG]

4. Sonia

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma
    So the 5 chickens he wants wouldn't be enough. We would need approx. a dozen a day. So 12-13 would be a good number?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Actually, figure out how many you need a day and buy about 2 more hens than that. Some take a day off. Also depends on the breeds.

6. Sonia

Apr 19, 2008
    SE Oklahoma

Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  7. CUDA

CUDA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    That's true, Lone, better off with a couple extra. BTW Sonia, there are plenty of heavy breeds that will lay well for you, and are much prettier than plain old white leghorns in my opinion. Just letting you know in case you didn't realize. Good luck!

8. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    Sonia, you of course are correct. My roo lives with my hens in their coop. They all do fine! There is no problem with that. I breed leghorns and I breed leghorns/barred rock mixes. I have 7 hens and a roo in one chicken house. I get about a dozen of eggs a day. All the kids are grown and gone, so its just my husband and I. So I sell the eggs for hatching and I sell them for eating. People are always honking at my gate. So for eggs, you made a great choice in Leghorns. Good luck and tell hubby to leave the chickens to you. Tehe!

9. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    if you use 2dz eggs day give or take.you need atlest 25 hens to produce what you need.

10. chcknrs

chcknrs Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    Your hubby needs to read BYC and get a REAL education.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by