Please help me sex my Barred Rock chick..

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by operator16, Jun 10, 2010.

1. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    This is "Precious" She's just over 4 weeks now. What an amazing personality. I had no idea I'd meet a chicken like her. She comes running full speed to me and wants to jump on my hand. If I'm sitting, she'll jump into my knee or shoulder. These days she climbs onto my chest and I cuddle her and she just pushes against me. I can't believe it.

Can you tell if she's a pullet or not??

Thanks so much for your thoughts!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    The dark barring, dark leggs, and smallish comb at that size are all saying pullet.

3. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I have 10 week old BR pullets too...looks like a pullet to me and yes, aren't they the sweetest birds??

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

It's a pullet. 100% sure.

5. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:I agree.

6. MIgourdgirl

MIgourdgirl Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2009
    Benton Harbor, Michigan
    Yep. I agree with the rest of them that it's a pullet. I have two three week old barred rock cochins, and I can already tell one's a roo and one's a pullet. The roo already has red showing in his comb. My favorite chicken was a barred rock hen. She was like a family pet. She'd come when you'd call her, was as sweet as could be. Sadly, a hawk got her a couple years ago. I cried buckets. Sounds like you're having fun with Precious. She sounds like a terrific gal.

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have two three week old barred rock cochins

You mean barred Cochins, right? [​IMG] Rocks and Cochins are different breeds. You can sex BRs at hatch with 90% accuracy. Even if someone doesn't know how, the males get red combs early on and then it's pretty easy. BR girls don't get red combs until they are "teenagers".​

8. operator16

operator16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Colorado
    Welll.... When I got them at the feed store they gal said they were barred rocks. But, she also said my little orange ones were BOs... and it seems like maybe they are not. I don't know about Cochin. I hadn't heard that. Can you tell?

Quote:You mean barred Cochins, right? [​IMG] Rocks and Cochins are different breeds. You can sex BRs at hatch with 90% accuracy. Even if someone doesn't know how, the males get red combs early on and then it's pretty easy. BR girls don't get red combs until they are "teenagers".

9. barred-rocks-rock

barred-rocks-rock Can't stick with a Title

Jul 5, 2009
    Quote:You mean barred Cochins, right? [​IMG] Rocks and Cochins are different breeds. You can sex BRs at hatch with 90% accuracy. Even if someone doesn't know how, the males get red combs early on and then it's pretty easy. BR girls don't get red combs until they are "teenagers".

I know! My hens' combs didnt grow at all until the week before they started laying!

10. I have found that the "white on black" feathers are pullets and the "black on white" feathers are cockerals. if its more black its a lade, if its more white than its a dude! I have four of them - two pullets, two cockerels. The one pullet i names Henrietta is a sweetheart like yours is. they are so gentle and quiet. She looks at me like she is wondering what i am thinking. She runs at me to when i squat down for her too.We are all sick people arent we? LOLOLOL....

here's my 'boys' at 9 weeks.
    [​IMG]

and one of each so that you can compare their colors. I hope this helps you!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by