Please help me sex my little monsters!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by CarriBrown, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Here's Hotwing and Nugget, BLRWs. Hotwing is about 6 weeks and Nugget is about 4 weeks.
    Hotwing is on the left... S/he grew a tail at a young age.
    [​IMG]
    Nugget still hasn't grown much of a tail.
    [​IMG]

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Hmm, Nugget looks more roo-ish than Hotwing. The lack of a tail is giving him away and the comb seems very arched, which I found was also a giveaway with my last batch.

3. CarriBrown

Quote:[​IMG]
    That's what I suspected! I was really hoping that Nugget would be a pullet because I like the light better than the dark... But my dad will take him if need be.
    You know how roos can be really intense and give you the "stare down"? Nugget does just that. [​IMG]

4. speckledhen

Well, let me know if I'm right about Nugget! My boys feather out so slowly and poor Suede and Maverick barely have any tails, even at 12 weeks old!

5. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Is lack of a tail an indication? I was supposed to have bought all pullets, but I am beginning to wonder if my crossed beak chick is male, just becuz s/he is the most adventurous, and also kicks its lil legs like mad when I turn it over on its back.
    Also chases the others chicks, 3 times its size now, away from the food. Hmmm...I sure hope not, our city does not allow roo's, and I am a bit attached to the lil invalid. [​IMG]

6. CarriBrown

Quote:[​IMG]
    If Nugget is a roo, you'll be the first one I cry to! :thun

7. speckledhen

Well, Carri, I hope I'm wrong in this case. Heaven knows, it's happened before, LOL!
    thndrdancer, usually pullets feather out faster in the tail than males, but it isn't always 100% accurate. The other things you described are not necessarily indications of a cockerel, though. Most of my pullet chicks are very feisty. I have a couple who almost always back down my cockerels in a sparring match and I know for sure they're girls! And they are not as large as they boys whose little behinds they're beating, so its more attitude than sex in some cases. Don't panic yet!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  8. jag

jag Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2007
    Maine
    I have no idea about what sex they are, but I just wanted to say they are beautiful. Can't wait to see my BLRW's feathered out even that much! [​IMG]

9. chicken wild

chicken wild Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    Franklin Ga
    looks rooish to me. [​IMG]

10. speckledhen

This thread is over three years old, folks. I know that Carri no longer has Hotwing or Nugget. [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by