Please help me sex my Plymouth Rocks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Aussie Roast, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Aussie Roast

Aussie Roast New Egg

Mar 16, 2010
    Hi everyone!
    I have some 10 week old Plymouth Rock chicks and I'm finding it really hard to work out their gender. The last PR chick I had I guessed cockeral due to it's very slow feathering and it's stance - well it turned out to be a lovely layer called Minnie! So I'm throwing these pics out there in the hope that someone can guess better than me! Oh, and I've thrown in a Light Sussex too. I thought it was a pullet but now not so sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    and a head shot of the same chick
    [​IMG]

2. Casey76

Casey76 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2011
    Alsace, France
    First two photos: cockeral; third photo (light sussex or LS mix): pullet; fourtha nd fifth photos: pullet: sixth and seventh photos: cockeral.

With barred birds, males are lighter ans they have two doses of the barring gene. Females are darker as they can only have one dose. [​IMG]

3. GammaPoppyLilyFlutter

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter Love Comes with Feathers

Jun 26, 2010
    California
    Quote:I agree. Barred rock males have lighter plumage after they lose their down.

So 2 pullets and 2 cockerels.

BTW, the cockerel in the first photo has a very fluffy butt! So cute! [​IMG]

4. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    The Light Sussex looks like a cockerel to me.

5. teresa-78

teresa-78 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2010
    England
    Quote:X2

6. Aussie Roast

Aussie Roast New Egg

Mar 16, 2010
    Thank you everyone! I had suspected that the lighter colour ones were all cockerals and the darker ones pullets so am not so surprised there but the last one I was sure was a pullet! I have some more photos of the last one from a back angle. The feathering doesn't appear the same as the first 2 although they are most likely from different breeding pairs (I bought fertile eggs). This last PR has extremely yellow legs and until the last week, also extremely yellow comb. I do note that the waddles are starting to get red now though which says cockeral to me. Obviously I'm still holding out hope! What do you think of these pics? Do they make you change your mind?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As for the light sussex. I am extremely disappointed that she may be a he. I have 2 LS cockerals from the same hatch (although possibly not eggs from same breeding pairs) and they are very obviously cockerals with large red comb and waddles. With this photo as comparison of a cockeral the same age would you still say cockeral and not hen?
    [​IMG]

Thank you all so much for taking the time to help me.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011
  7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a Barred Rock hen, not from nice stock like yours are, who had cockerel-coloring and still does at 5 years old. She had lots of BYC folks fooled till it became obvious that her comb wasn't growing much at all. The last one has male coloring, but the comb and wattles may indicate a pullet or just a very late blooming cockerel. I'd say late bloomer, but on ones like that, you have to wait and see.

I think the Lt Sussex first shown is a pullet.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    That last one also has pretty thick legs............sorry. And I still think the sussex is a boy. [​IMG]

9. Aussie Roast

Aussie Roast New Egg

Mar 16, 2010
    Thank you all once again! It appears that the consensus for the Light Sussex and the last PR is 50/50! I agree Speckled Hen, the colouring of the PR is not always a good judge. I also have 2 PR hens with light colouring but are definitely laying! I fear that it may just be a wait and see as you say. Not a problem really except that someone wants to buy some pullets and I feel bad that I can't guarantee them to be pullets.

GammaPoppyLilyFlutter - Most of my 10 week olds have fluffy butts now!

10. elabraleon

elabraleon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2010
    Vancouver
    I'm new at this, but my predictions are:

male, male, male(not really sure, but tail feathers looked curved?), female, female, male(80% sure on this one- it doesn't have much comb/waddle pinking yet.)

Let me know how they turn out.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by