1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Please help me sex my silkie

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by grahamland6753, Nov 7, 2016.

1. grahamland6753

grahamland6753 New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    [​IMG]

I have a white silkie hen and a buff silkie rooster that just crowed for the first time this morning. :( My black silkie (above) must have been a runt because I still can't figure it out. He/she sits on the perch with my hen, but the buff rooster is mean to the black silkie and seems to challenge him a lot but the black silkie is super submissive. Can a rooster be mean to one hen and nice to the other or you think he knows the black silkie is a roo too??? Any help would be great! Thanks guys!

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  2. Mirei81101

Mirei81101 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2014
    How old?

Better pics of higher resolution would be helpful.

3. grahamland6753

grahamland6753 New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3months old I believe but he/she is smaller than the others!

4. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Looks like a pullet to me

5. grahamland6753

grahamland6753 New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    That would be great news because my other pullet , Koa is super attached to her. Roosters are not allowed In city so we have to rehome Shemp , my cockerel :( so I am really hoping the black one is a pullet!

One question, But why would the cockerel be being so bossy with her and not the other girl?
    He is not overly mean but they had a stare down the other night for like 30 seconds and sometimes will go after her.

Thank you so much for you time, I am new to all this :)

6. ShellyBear

ShellyBear Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Probably just the pecking order with who is dominant. Pullets will also get into fights just to figure some stuff out. I'm thinking she's definitely a pullet unless she crows, lol. Good luck

Last edited: Nov 7, 2016
  7. grahamland6753

grahamland6753 New Egg

Sep 9, 2016
    Cheyenne, Wyoming
    K fingers crossed.

Thank you so much for you time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by