Please help me sex silkies!!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by askjcm2005, Jul 15, 2010.

1. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Hello: I recently got into chickens and I am in love! We got 2 silkies and 2 polish chicks but 1 polish drowned itself in the kiddie pools for the ducklings. [​IMG]

Anyways, we are supposed to be picking up 6 silkie chicks tonight that are 1-4 weeks old and I have noooo idea how to even start to pick them out!! From what ive read on here and other places they are very hard to sex and take longer to mature. BUt are there any tips that may help? Do they always all look the same? I just want to try and pick pulletts obviously but know that sometimes people will lie and say they arent boys, I just got 3 ducklings and was told they were girls and they were all boys!!

Also, is 6 silkie chicks for $20 a good deal? I thought so but wasnt sure as I am new at all this...

2. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    There is no way to tell the sex of a 1-4 week old Silkie. It's just the luck of the draw.

3. askjcm2005

askjcm2005 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2010
    San Diego
    Good to know. Thanks!! Just dont want an expert to trick me into buying all boys since I dont know any better. LOL

4. IroquoisEgg

IroquoisEgg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Fair Oaks, CA
    Yeah, $20 is great for 6 silkies! Around here they go from $6/each and up depending on "show" or "pet" quality. As for sexing....just go with your instincts not much else you can do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by