Please help me sex these babies.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Mrsedm, May 3, 2017.

1. Mrsedm

Mrsedm Just Hatched

Apr 20, 2017
    Leander, TX
    Im going to post pictures of 7 Silkies and 5 Silver Sebrights. They are almost 5 weeks old. I was hoping for some help sexing them. I am using a little non toxic food color to tell them apart for now.

Here are the first Silkies

2. Mrsedm

Mrsedm Just Hatched

Apr 20, 2017
    Leander, TX
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 3, 2017
  3. chickentomtom87

chickentomtom87 New Egg

Mar 19, 2017
    Brookwood Alabama
    Hi their. Their are many ways to sex your chickens. If you have ISA Leghorn's the way to sex them is that the female has light brown on the wings when you open her wings up, and the males have theirs all white. A Leghorn first days before starting to get feathers growing, will start off being yellow chicks. Another way to sex your chickens is by, opening up their wings on day 1, the females have the longer feathers n the Mr has the shorter feathers. Another way to sex your chickens is as of if you've haven't done so already the first day out of the egg, is that the female chick has one long feather n one short feather in its wings. Another way to sex your chickens is the old way, put their jaw bones between you pointer finger n middle finger, pick the chick up, and if it's a male his feet will go up, if it's a female their legs will hang. Another way to sex your chicken is if it's a day old, put on a rubber glove n then push up on the button. If it's a male you'll see a little pecker sticking out, if it's a female, she won't have nothing. And last for last. Another way to sex your chickens is the old fashioned way. Grab you some string, a nail and a electrical wire cap, if it moves back n forth. "Like up n down," then it's a male, if it goes round n round then it's considered a female. I've hope that I gave you enough advice. If you want to reply with pictures, I'll try to help you the best way that I can. Thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by