Please help me sex these chicks * PIC HEAVY*

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countrygirl911, Jun 15, 2011.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    these chicks are 3 1/2 to 4 weeks old an older man said you can use their breast bone to tell but not sure if he was correct when he sexed them and he said all roos but 3 and that there is a machine that people use when they sell them on the internet to be able to sell all roo egg which i have never heard of. i have always been told you can not sex them by their eggs abd before they are born never heard of a machine that said it was going to be a boy or girl before they hatch.

chick 1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 4

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 5

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 6

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 7

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 8

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 9

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 10

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

chick 11

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

any help would be greatly appreciated

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  2. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    can someone please help

3. akcountrygrrl

akcountrygrrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Nenana, AK
    Don't get too upset if no one is answering this late at night. It's only 10:25 p.m. here but on the east coast of the US it's after 2 a.m. on a week night. [​IMG]

As to your questions, I've never heard of anything like the old guy was telling you. Sounds like a bunch of bunk to me. As to your chicks, it's still a little early to tell on most of them. I do believe your D'Uccle (chick 10) is a pullet. The Silkies are probably going to be the last ones that you will be able to sex. Chicks will definitely teach you patience.

4. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    hi everyone i hope to find out so if i have a lot of roos so that i can give them to homes as straight run which looks like i will have to since these are hard to sex. the old man used a sexing technique that i have never heard of before using the chickens breast bone he swears he has never been wrong and so does his grandson. He also said that alot of people that sells eggs online has some special machine that they use to scan the eggs and it tells them if it is a boy or girl before they sell them so the seller can keep all the girl eggs and sell just the boy eggs i have never heard of this before but who knows since i am new to the whole hatching thing. i guess i will know if most of these are boys and my next hatch winds up with mostly roos. I would like to sex them early so i can keep the pullets and sell the boys. my husband said if we go to a trade thing close to here most people want older birds instead of younger birds like babies is that true.

5. Bantam90210

Bantam90210 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 5, 2011
    Smithsburg/Waynesboro
    Chick 10 is deffinately a roo (I have a roo and hen Mille Fluer I raised from chicks and thats what my roo stared out like!)
    My hen who is only a week behind my roo, still doesnt have any signs of a comb, but your's is already showing one.

an what she said about the silkies is true, they'll be the last ones you'll figure out!

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Your photo's are a bit dark to see what breed for the first 6 birds. They may be Easter eggers if they have green or slate legs. They all look like hens to me. Chick 2 might be a roo?

7,8, and 9 are Silkies. It's very hard to sex these at this age.

10 is a mille fleur d'uccle. Most likely a female. The comb looks small and yellow. Looks exactly like my girl.

11 is a barred rock female.

7. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    There is no machine that sexes eggs.

I've never heard of anyone being able to determine gender by feeling the breastbone and don't believe that is true. Your chicks are still young and most are not showing signs of obvious gender either way that I can see.

Edited to say - you can tell the Barred Rock is a girl because of the darkness of her feathers. Barred Rock boys are much lighter.

8. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Yay Chicks! :

There is no machine that sexes eggs.

I've never heard of anyone being able to determine gender by feeling the breastbone and don't believe that is true. Your chicks are still young and most are not showing signs of obvious gender either way that I can see.

Edited to say - you can tell the Barred Rock is a girl because of the darkness of her feathers. Barred Rock boys are much lighter.

the one that looks like a BR is actually a mix between an americauna and an Maran Roo. i was thinking the same thing about the breast bone and machine but the old man and is grandpaw has never made a mistake before he says on a roo if the breast bone in longer and curves it and a hen its breast bone is shorter and bairly curves in. how old should they be before really knowing hopefully before they are two big. i really need to know on the silkies because someone wants a boy but do not want to give them a hen two show signs of what liiks like streemers showing on their head most of the feathers are fuzz but in that fuz there are feathers that are sticking up longer. how long does it take for an americauna roo to start getting a large comb​

9. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Quote:the 6 are 4 lavender americaunas and 2 black/lavender split americaunas

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by