Please Help Me Sex These Silkies :)

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chickie Mamma, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, these birds are 4-5 months old and have me puzzled. Sometimes I think I know, and then I keep changing my mind. I have an idea, but help me confirm. None have a really defined comb yet either. The Buff's comb seems to be larger than the rest, I couldn't get a great shot of the comb unless I bathe them again, its easier to see when wet.
    Thanks for looking! Any guesses is appreciated [​IMG]

This white silkie I am thinking a boy. I was really hoping for a girl as I have another SQ white roo already.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Partridge beauty I believe is a girl. I was hoping it was a roo as I have a nice female already.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This Buff is only a week younger than the other 2 but I am thinking roo on this one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Lovely white and partridge pullets. Not sure on the buff.

3. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

I'dda guess the white was a highly possible cockeral, but who knows as they are all too young to tell. I'd call the buff a cockeral too.

4. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    1. Pullet
    2. pullet
    3. Cockerel

[​IMG]

5. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Ooh, you think the white one may be a pullet? I am keeping my fingers crossed, the Partridge I was pretty sure of.
    Thank you!

6. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Quote:Thank you. The only thing stopping me from guessing roo on the white one is how round the crest is. I have an adult roo that looked different at that age.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    The first two are girls, the buff could be a boy.

8. Chickie Mamma

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Ooh, I am getting a bit excited that there is hope that "snowball" may be a girl. I was comparing her to my adult roo, this is not her daddy, but will be her mate (hopefully) [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I was looking more at the tail. Looks roo-ish to me. But like I say, nothing is for certain until they crow for lay.

10. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Based on size CM I think 1 and 3 are cockerels.

If you want to bring them over I'll check them from the inside and send you home with a lovely pot of silkie stock.

How's my passenger doing?

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by