Please help me sex these Silkies!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Flock Leader, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Flock Leader

Flock Leader Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    They hatched in our incubator about three months ago and so far, I have absolutely no clue as to their gender. I was told Silkies are sometimes tricky in this department, but I hoped that perhaps someone with more experience can enlighten me (this is my first time with Silkies).

We currently have three of these adorable puff balls:

[​IMG]
    A white one,
    [​IMG]
    A black one,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    And one who is mostly black but with some chinchilla-like feathering, chiefly around the head and neck, I think it's simply gorgeous:
    [​IMG]
    "Stay still, and look at the camera," says my older daughter (who isn't really grabbing the tail, as it may seem, but only gently nudges the bird in the right direction). This one is spunkier than the others, by the way. A roo or just a dominant hen?
    [​IMG]
    So... what do y'all think? I tried to get a good side shot and a comb shot, but my birds weren't really very cooperative. Your opinion is much appreciated.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Silkies are very difficult to sex. Your birds are still a little too young for me to be reasonably sure of my guesses. I'm leaning towards pullet on the white one, as I don't see any "streamers" (pointy, longer feathers coming out of the crest), and it just looks feminine. However, the stance is rather tall, and the comb is a little large. The black
    one 's crest look like that of a females (puffy and rather large), and she has a squat stance. I say that she's a pullet. The black/chinchilla colored one looks more like a male than a female, in my opinion. The crest is small and stringy. If any of your birds is a rooster, the black/chinchilla colored bird is the one.

3. bantygirl

bantygirl Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2010
    I would have to say, white roo, 1st black one pullet, 2nd black one roo watch for saddle feather sure sign of roo and the streamers on the head, I'm no expert and they r very cute

4. Aaisha

Aaisha Chillin' With My Peeps

x2

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Hmm. They all look pullet-like for now, to me. I have 4 silkies the same age as yours, and one of mine is definitely a male, I have known for a good 6 weeks due to his large comb and prominent wattles. None of yours look like him. My little guy, however, has the most wonderful round puff of a crest which would be the envy of any silkie pullet! So you can't always go by the crest either. Your little puff balls will keep you guessing for a little while yet, I think!

6. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Wow, it seems I have an array of opinions here! I suppose I will just have to wait and see. I love them all anyway, they provide us with so many hours of entertainment! [​IMG]

7. Flock Leader

May 3, 2012
    Israel
    Updating: right now, I'm 95% sure that the white and chinchilla are both males, and the black one is a female. The chinchilla Silkie has glossy shiny long tail feathers and generally looks like a male, the white one began rapidly developing his comb and wattles and acts like a dominant male, and the black one is smaller, gentler, rounder, and looks and acts like a female.

I think this thread serves to prove Silkies are extremely difficult to sex. Who knows, I might have surprises yet!

8. poodlechickens

poodlechickens Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2013
    Clinton Ct
    [​IMG][/IMG] Help!! Someone is crowing and I don't know what one. Now I just found a small egg in coop and I don't think it's from the others since they are LF.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by