Please Help Me Sex These Wonderful Chicks Lots Of Pics

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countrygirl911, Jul 6, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    Hi everyone i need a little help identifying the sex of at least one of these wonderful chicks I have 3 RIR chicks all the same age 9 to 10 weeks old and 3 Americaunas (sorry about spelling) that are 6 to 7 weeks old but they have no waddles or combs growing yet they basically have a flat bumpy spots where the comb come in and has no color at all. I would really appreciate any help identifing the sex of these chicks. I also have 2 BR Hens which i know are female and 2 Black sex links/black stars that i know are hens Sorry about the picture quality of the Americaunas they are very fast and hard to chase down with a camera to take a good pic lol

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again thanks for any help you give i really appreciate it also if the RIR is a Roo which i suspect is even thought it was suppose to be a girl when can i expect him to start to try to crow. All of the older birds sound like they are trying to use their voices but it almost sounds like someone growling/a realy loud squaking sound wish i knew how to upload a small video of the sound so you could hear it. I still got my fingers crossed that it could be a more mature hen but not sure could really use some help i am all new to raising chickens

2. gumamelachick

gumamelachick In the Brooder

Mar 5, 2010
    East Bay
    Hi! I'm not an expert, but I'll give it my best guess. [​IMG]
    Although I don't have RIRs, none of the girls in my flock had a comb or wattles that big at 10 weeks. Are the tailfeathers different than the other two? I'm guessing the one in question is a cockerel.
    Those ameracaunas look like pullets to me... but like EEs you kind of have to wait because they take a while to mature.

3. solarquail

solarquail Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Your ee's are pullets you have a cuckoo maran pullet because of leg color it isnt a barred rock and a rir trio

4. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    ok ty for the advice so my BR is not a BR and the RIR are a trio so i have 3 RIR hens or 2 hens and a roo also the tail feathers are a little different on the RIR than the other 2 RIR they are a little longer not much and stick straight up where the other 2 are a little shorter ans sticks out straight

Last edited: Jul 7, 2010
  5. solarquail

solarquail Songster

Aug 27, 2009
    Virginia
    rir trio means one roo two hens the one rir wiht the big comb is the cockeral.

6. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    ty for explaining that to me i really appreciate it

7. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    anybody else can you please help also do i have to feed the roo anything different when he gets older and the hens start eating layer pellets

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The rooster can eat the layer pellets BUT I have a better idea: feed everybody grower/finisher feed (or FlockRaiser if you use Purina products) and provide oyster shell free choice. I put crushed oyster shell in an empty tuna can, which I've nailed to an inside wall of the coop.

I've got several different ages of chickens, many of which should not eat layer feed yet. So, to solve the problem, I just feed everybody all purpose chicken feed and provide the free choice oyster shell.

9. Southernchickens

Southernchickens Chirping

Jun 30, 2010
    Mobile, Alabama
    Both the hens and the rooster can eat layer food. Thats what I feed my rooster.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by