Please help me sex this little chick.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by midwifebeth, Mar 12, 2013.

1. midwifebeth

midwifebeth Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Does this look like a rooster? The comb is showing up pretty good now but it's yellow. I'm confused about what to look for.

[​IMG]
    I would also like to know the breed.

Beth

2. Alex15

Alex15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Hi there,

I’m by no means a chicken expert but my guess would be that these are little wellsummer girls. They look a lot like my wellsummer chicks, only with darker colourings, I can put up a photo of mine if you like? From my research on the breed the girls (from hatching) have strong eyeliner (cute huh?) and a stronger ‘V’ shape on their head while the boys have much shorter eyeliner (sometimes just a dot) and a fuzzy ‘V’. I’m pretty confident mine are girls, they’re almost 4 weeks and the boys start to get black feathers on their chests and backs while the girls get a salmon colour and mine are starting to get the salmon colouring. They do have little combs too, but I don’t think this is important in sexing these chicks. Goodluck with them! My Wellies are absolute sweethearts and sooo pretty! They were a bit skittish at first but now love sitting with me and getting pats!

Also here is a link on sexing Wellsummers:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/welsummer-red-partridge

3. midwifebeth

midwifebeth Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2013
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Thank you so much for responding! I hope you are right because I really don't want to have to get rid of her if she turns out to be a him instead. But I would have to because of city laws. I love her markings, too. I'd love to see pictures of your wellsummer.

4. Alex15

Alex15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    [​IMG]

So this is one of my little wellies at two weeks old. I'll be taking photos of all my chicks when they're four weeks this Friday and can put up another photo then!

I saw your other post about these chicks and about it possibly being an easter egger. Now that I see my chicks compared to yours they look quite different in terms of colours. Yours is just so much darker! But the eyeliner, V pattern and cute little patterns on the wings and tail look the same! I did have a look at pics of easter egger adults and they seem to look a bit like welsummers, so maybe the sexing with the eyeliner and 'V' is the same for both breeds anyway. Here's hoping! I have 8 unsexed chicks and understand your worry about getting roosters! (I can't keep them either...)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by