Please Help Me Sex This Rir "pics"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by countrygirl911, Jun 19, 2010.

1. countrygirl911

countrygirl911 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    this RIR is between 7 to 9 weeks old i hve 2 other just like he/him but their comba and waddles are not the same this one is much bigger comb and waddle. they are all the same age.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChksontheRun

ChksontheRun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Central Virginia
    I say roo

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Cockerel!

4. Jeeper1540

Jeeper1540 Chillin' With My Peeps

id say roo because i have 3 chicks that are about 10 weeks and they dont even have a comp starting yet

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Male. 100% sure.

6. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    ty i really appreciate all the answers and sorry if the thread is duplicated my computer was acting up and it did not seem like it posted so i het the button again. when i bought my chick i was told all girls looks like they made a mistake oh well still my my little roo. i was so confused becasue his comb and wadles are alot bigger than the other chicks his age and when i look at his feather they seem to look like hen feather to me but i am new to this. I really do not know what to look for when the beginning of saddle feathers comming in. Also if i do not want baby chicks how can i keep the fertilized eggs from hatching. I migt let 2 or 3 hatch but no more. i have a 10 ft by 8 ft coop and a 16ft by 16ft run and i want to make sure that it does ot get crowed in there. i would only want like 5 more chickens in that coop before building a second one or expanding thie one i already have.

7. countrygirl911

Jun 17, 2010
    Mississippi
    how old will he need to be before he crows also when do the spurs on the legs come in i did not see any on the legs at all yet and when they come in someone told me they need to be removed is that true

8. ChksontheRun

ChksontheRun Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2010
    Central Virginia
    My 13 week BO just started crowing this week, my Del has not crowed yet. Also, male hackle feathers come in first followed by saddle feathers so you can look for the pointy hackle feathers first. But as some people on this forum say, you will know they are hens when they lay an egg. Some develop crowing and feathers at their own rate.

9. chicken22

chicken22 New Egg

Jun 16, 2010
    Looks like a rooster to me. Comb pointed and all.

10. monita

monita Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2009
    Shelbyville, Tennessee
    its a roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by