Please help me! Something is wrong with my duck!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by OLIVEandMURPHY, Mar 7, 2014.

1. OLIVEandMURPHY

OLIVEandMURPHY New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    I have a pair of Cayuga/Blue Swedish ducks. They'll be a year this coming May. They're treated very well and fed all the proper foods. My female duck, Olive, started acting funny a couple weeks ago. She stopped laying her normal amount of eggs (2 a day), started getting skinnier, and started loosing feathers. We just assumed she was molting, but I'm not sure she is, as it's never been this bad.
    She's been plucking out all her chest feathers, and some on her neck. Today, I picked her up and took a look at her chest and it looked all slimy and she has these white slimy stringy things all bunched up on her skin. I haven't taken a very close look since. My mom has her in the bath right now and she seems to be okay.

She also keeps stretching her neck like she can't swallow or something. and she's kinda losing feathers around her eyes. it looks pinkish around them...

Please please PLEASE tell me if this has happened to anyone else and what can be done. Im scared :(

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Do they look like the things in this picture? A warning that the picture is gross! If so she has gapeworm, and it can be fatal because they can build up to such an amount that the bird can no longer breathe. If she does have them you need to worm her right away. It's been shown that the most effective treatment for gapeworm is giving fenbendazole (Safe Guard is a brand name of this) at 20mg/kg 3 days in a row.

If they don't look like those things, I'm not sure what it could be and I hope someone else pops in!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2014
  3. OLIVEandMURPHY

OLIVEandMURPHY New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    oh my God. I just looked closer at her and they're not worms... They were wet feathers but she has a HOLE IN HER CHEST! What do I do!? Its greenish and its disgusting! Its about the size of a nickle. You cant see through it because it tightens but somethings wrong! Help!

4. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchaholic Extrordinaire Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Could you post pictures? It would help if we could see it.

5. OLIVEandMURPHY

OLIVEandMURPHY New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    [​IMG]

Here. Hopefully everyone can see the picture. It's not amazing quality, but you can still see the hole thingy...

6. OLIVEandMURPHY

OLIVEandMURPHY New Egg

Mar 7, 2014
    Here's a close up too [​IMG]

7. ForensicGirl

ForensicGirl New Egg

May 4, 2016
    North Carolina
    My drake has a hole in his chest too but you can't see it unless you move his feathers. I can't seem to find any threads about it and yours had the pictures that look like his hole. What as the outcome of the hole in your duck? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by